Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moon Phaser review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DougP, May 18, 2005.

1. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    This is a bit of review for a Red Witch Moon Phaser.

These can be found at http://www.redwitchanalogpedals.com/

This is the first time that i have done a review on a product here, so go easy on me and if i miss anything just ask.

i ordered mine from MusicToyz.com; i bought the deluxe model that includes the LED and stereo option.

This pedal arrived in a box but also wrapped in what seems to be a black denim bag. very nice. i pulled out this gleaming chrome box and let me tell you...i didnt even want to touch it out of fear of leaving fingerprints.

i bought this mainly for guitar use so i plugged up the guitar (Ibanez with dual humbuckers into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe). Bear with me, i'll try to get through the guitar part of this quickly. ;) so, i plugged it up and turned it on. the first thing i noticed was the bright green LED and then the sound? it sounded fantastic! There are no extreme sounds in this box, but every setting is useable. My only serious issue was the controls: the Trajectory knob is reversed and the 6 position Cosmology selector gives no guidance in the manual. i had read reviews on this pedal before buying so i knew in advance that this was just how this pedal was setup and that i didnt have a faulty one. the selector switch still had me confused so i emailed Ben Fulton, the builder, and he replied with an hour giving me the full monty on what each of the six positions do.

There are several versions of the phaser and some with phaser/tremolo at the same time, one setting is tremolo alone.

so after playing around with it for about an hour, i feel like there are songbirds and rainbows and sunshine in my ears. as soon as i turn it off i am brought back to harsh reality of just a guitar and an amp.

Then i fire up the bass amp. i didnt know what to expext out of this pedal with a bass through it. but i was not let down in the least. This pedal carries the low end with aplomb. it never gets muddy either, which is a very nice thing indeed. though i will say that when i went to Tremolo-only mode, it did lose some of the bottom end..no worries though, i bought this for its combo ability.

like i said previously, i bought the deluxe model becuase it has the LED. if the mono version had the LED i would have bought that instead.

all in all, i could sum this up in one word... "LUSH"

oh..and fully analog...true bypass.

2. One just turned up here on our local online auction site...was pretty tempted (i'm a phaser nut) but from what I could gather (info, reviews, guitar samples) it was a little subtle for my liking (current rig includes a Smallstone and a vintage Roland Phase 2).

But, cheaper than chips, went in the end for $265NZD, which is like half price to you guys.

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i gather that Red Witch is located in New Zealand.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    coolness :cool:

I've been GASing over the red witch for a while.

Any chance of some bass samples? I can host them if you need a place to put them.

what bass did you play through it?

5. Yup.

Our prices for stuff made here end up being either the NZD equivalent of the USD price, or the USD price less a percentage. At any rate they work out a bit cheaper. Even better when the exchange rate (for you guys - great for me at the moment!) was good.

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i'll see what i can do. i have been fighting with getting a good tone recorded lately since i am supposed to be putting down bass tracks for my bands CD. i bought a lot of new equipment and toys and still am trying to figure out how to get the tone i hear translated to the recording medium properly.

i have used my Carvin 6 string on it. Ran that through an Ampeg pre through an Aggie 2x10 and 1x12 with a solid state power amp. once i get a good recorded tone, i will make a couple of dry samples and some wet samples with the red witch.

incidentally, i also got an analogman chorus. holy crap that thing is nice! :)

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my ex-gui**** has one... they are killer! The bicomprosser is nice to. I had a "King of Tone" on order... but dropped it as I'm happy with the dirty channel of my tube rig

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    nice! i am in the queue for a bicomprosser, should be only a few more months.

9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Sounds radical. Are the phasers the only pedals they make?

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    no, Ben also makes the Medusa Chorus. tremolo and chorus in one pedal.

11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
  12. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    maybe it's just me, but I can only hear the first clip that has 'dry' bass?

13. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
  14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Ahh, it's working now. I think that Tremophase setting is a really cool idea. Thanks...

15. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Anything for my fellow bass'ers