Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

more bass problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Jul 23, 2005.

1. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Alright, heres what happened. First off all I own a Squier P-Bass, I've had it for less than 3 weeks now, and for the most part im satisified. However, when I recieved it the knobs were loose and everytime i changed the tone, i'd get a constant buzz. But, when the tone was all the way down I wouldn't have a problem.

Well, I posted here and was hinted that It's probably dirty pots. So I goto my local guitar center and tell the tech my problem, he said hed clean the pots and tighten up the knobs...

I come home, the knobs are great, but i still get buzz. I'm relecutant to blame the amp, because it only buzzes at a certain setting on my bass, I also doubt its my cord because I've used a few others and the problem persists.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

2. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Doesn't the tone knob boost the treble? Mine does that too, becuase too much treble always creates buzz. When my tone is all the way "down" I get a real bass sound with no buzz, but when I turn it "up" I get a real twang which produces buzz. Part of your problem is that... It's a Squire...

3. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    foes it also happen when you face a electral device, tv, computer, amp, ect. if so try to sheld it. that helped on my jazz.

4. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I also forgot to mention the noise stops when i hold my strings or play.. Ill try and move it away from everything but i have such a small space it's going to be difficult

5. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Someone should check the wires. My Ibanez did that, and someone told me to re-soder everything.

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005

sounds like a grounding issue

7. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yeah the input jack seems a little off too. The tech I went to today said I get a 30-day warantee for anything else that goes wrong so I should be covered...

Any other suggestions though?

Edit: Grounding issue? Elaborate please. thanks

8. That sounds like a grounding problem.
    You can check this site : http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/index.php, out on how to shield it and wire it up properly. (star grounding)

9. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I can always get a tech to check the grounding for me, right? I don't wanna chance screwing up my baby

10. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    I would think so. If they can put pickups in, then I guess they can mess around with the wires. :smug:

11. I suggest asking them to fix the problem or get your money back, or another bass of similar value.

12. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Im pretty confident it's the grounding now..

1. its not specific to tone, if my guitar volume knob isnt all the way up i get buzz
    2. i isolated the amp away from any electronical interfearence and i get the same bs

i guess next saturday when the tech is at guitar center ill ask him about it

thanks for all ur help

13. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Do you have any dimming lights, or flouresent lights on when you do this? The dimming lights make my bass go crazy.

14. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    nope, ive played the bass all around my house, different places. everything... im almost positive its still the pots or the wiring or something inside my bass

15. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    the bass is grounded through the strings (theres a wire tap on the bridge) this is why you get no hum when your touching the strings; you create a ground.

also be sure you amp has a 3-prong grounded edison plug.

16. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    It's a 3 prong plug, so do I bring this to a tech to be resaudered?