1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More Depth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by unclejam, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hey fellas im lookin to put some more depth in my rig. im not really ready to put more speakers in the equation im lokin for a rack mounted solution. no i don't really want a compressor (i really like the open snappiness)
    thanks
    pic of rig in question

Picture-4-1.

the only thing missing is the bass

----------------
    Now playing: Marcus Miller - Free
    via FoxyTunes

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Chorus or reverb. Can't go wrong with a rack-mount reverb.

3. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    +1
    A good rack mounted Delay/Verb is always good.
    Or mabey something like a Aguilar Agro, cause dirt is ALWAYS good ;)

4. what sugesstions do yall have for something more neutral sounding?

5. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    What exactly do you want? 'Depth' is quite an ambiguous word.

6. i like my clean sound cept that i want a lil more lowend rumble

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Octave down maybe?

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Change your EQ?

This doesn't sound like an FX forum problem. If you'd come here saying "My bass doesn't sound enough like a jet engine at take-off" you might get more responses.

9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    A BBE sonic maximiser or Aphex Aural exciter would give you more perceivable low end and rumble that eq alone cannot achieve, almost like you've got bigger/more speakers, but without getting muddy by adding artificial low harmonics and other black magic jiggery-pokery.. They can also had more high-end content that make the glassy harmonics shimmer and sparkle. I call them a nice control, as you turn the knobs up and it magically adds 'nice' to your sound. But, the flip side is to be gentle with them, as it's easy to overcook the effect to the detriment of your mids.

You really need to try one out to fully hear what they do to your sound. Behringer actually make their own (ultramizer?) that's actually quite good.

10. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    This was what I was thinking.

11. thats what i was looking for....... now What unit? :confused:

Something balanced? line level?:confused:

12. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    +1 for the BBE. i love mine for that reason

13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    The Aphex 204 is a rackmount aural exciter and if it functions like the Bass Xciter which I've owned in the past....it will go a long way to making a so so rig sound a lot bigger and a little more hi-fi. Sorry The demo linked doesn't sound that great but poke around and you may find some interesting things on these two.

14. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    how about a boost of some kind. a devi ever darko boost or a nice analog octave pedal may suit your needs.

15. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Weren't those things proven just to be glorified EQ's in a thread in here not to long ago?

16. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Get a DBX 120A/120XP or DOD Meat Box. :D

17. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    And your point being? Personally I've never been able to get the same sound from an eq without getting muddy. There's a lot more to it than just being a parametric eq.

Regardless, if it does the job, it does the job. Doesn't matter how or why it works.

18. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    If I'm not mistaken, your cab is 125W RMS (continuous). Before you go nuts with a rack solution (which will NOT be a solution, IMO), I honestly think you should consider replacing the cab with something more substantial.

No amount of effects or rack enhancers will make up for a cab that can't keep up at high volumes during a gig.

19. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    +1 Sonic Maximiser