Moses Graphite Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Feb 16, 2004.

1. 95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I'm sure it has been around before, but what's the deal with these things? Are they really as good as one would hope they are? If anyone has played one or heard one played, do they actually resemble the sound and feel of a Modulus bass. For reference, I am hoping to learn about the Stingray neck, but any others are welcome for comment. Thank guys, Andy
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Did a little search, most Q's about graphite necks are in Basses. Moved there for more responses!
  3. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I've played a custom Jazz type bass made with a Moses neck.

When I saw it, my heart jumped a bit, because I've always been curious. I played it for about 3 minutes before I just put it down and moved on. My comments are:

Good workmanship, nice feel, appears stable, BUT, the sound was just thin and sterile. I've always been a fan of Jazz basses and I'd take a Fender or Lakland Skyline over this bass in a heartbeat.

I'd stick with Zon or Modulus. BTW, I liked the Quantum 5s I've played a lot more than this bass. But, I'm not a fan of graphite necks.

In fairness to Moses, there could have been a lot of things that caused the lackluster reaction: dead strings, lame pickups... Sorry, I can't give more details because this was almost a year ago.

Best advice I could give is try before you buy or get some kind of approval period.

Good luck.
  4. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I have to agree with the previous post.

I put one on my jazz bass & it sounds very thin & sterile. The bass has bassline active pickups & preamp so there should be plenty of output & character, but it just sounds blah. This could be a combination of factors & just be my bass. As with anything, YMMV.

I've been thinking about getting a different body from warmoth & swapping the neck off to see if it makes a difference, but I dont feel like spending any more money on this project.

The neck feels awesome though. Really thin & comfy...very even.
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I agree 100% with GrooveSlave's post! I had a 5-string with a Moses graphite and it was just way too thin sounding for my tastes. I prefer Modulus necks by far, if I had to go with a graphite (But I prefer wood, myself).
  6. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    I looked into getting one for my Stingray but decided against it, although I would still like to try one. Also check out Status for replacement necks. You usually get what you pay for so I don't think it's fair to compare Moses to Zon or Modulus.
  7. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've played on a whole two of them and they were night and day. Their owner said that the thin sounding one (matches what everyone else seem to think) would sound much better withbetter strings. The other one, however was worlds away from what people are saying here. It was very warm and full sounding. Now here's the catch. It was on a hollow body. Can you say neck dive? It had the worst dive I have ever experienced.

Pro's : excellent workmanship, great feel, Faaaaaast neck:hyper:

Con's : all that weight on the neck and only sounding good on the hollow body, making the weight ever more a problem :crying:
  8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Sounds like you're talking about a fretted neck, but thanks to TB'er JazzDude I just picked up an older Stingray with a Moses fretless neck (lined). I'm really loving it - it's also curved like an URB or strat neck. There's nothing thin about it - warmth and mwah for days. Slapping is also more lively than any other fretless bass I've played...