Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moses Graphite necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by taffae, Oct 21, 2004.

1. taffae

taffae

Oct 4, 2004
    Just wondering if anyone else has tried the graphite necks and liked them? I just picked one up.. I like it... I think... but it feels different. I suppose it is something that I need to get used too.

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I love their necks. Just knowing that you'll never have to adjust them and they'll always feel consistent is worth it. As far as the feel goes, they do have a more "cold" feel to them than say a maple neck with a rosewood FB, but it's a good cold.

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    yeah i like graphite necks, there not as sticky as some wood necks.. and they slide better.

4. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    A friend of mine has a custom Kinal 5 with Moses 35" scale neck and his own hand made 6 with 34" Moses neck. I owned and loved a Zon for a few years and have played a few Modulus. I believe the Moses necks sound more woody than the Modulus or Zon necks - whatever that means. However, they are quite heavy so keep that in mind. Composite necks are quite stable in varying humidity but not temperature. If you go from hot to cold or vice versa, you will have to re-tune. I mean, hey, a steel neck would too! They sound very even all over the neck - that is a plus. You have it - so try it and for a long time before you decide if it's for you.

Good luck,
    Tom H.

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I built a 5 sting fretless with a moses neck and it plays great, sounds really great, gets a great tone to tape ...

BUT I played an outdoor gig one time in the sun, and the neck back-bowed to the point where it was unplayable!!! I had to swap to my backup, a fretted 4, and was most bummed.

Moses said it shouldn't happen, even replaced the fingerboard with a "diamondwood" one to make it stiffer ... but I still won't ever take it on an outdoor gig again.

6. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I have one I put on an old MIJ jazz bass. Its my beater bass. I leave it at my rehearsal space & I never have to worry about neck adjustments. The room gets very hot & very cold on a daily basis & the neck never moves.

Its very playable. Its very thin & very fast.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've put a fretless Moses neck on my Steinberger XM, and it improved the tone quite a bit. It's much darker, warmer, and feels better than the original Steinberger neck. In fact, I wrote up a pretty extensive report on it here.

8. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    FWIW...I ordered mine from musicians friend so as to bypass the horrible customer service at moses.

I had my neck in 3 days

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Im planning to mod my MIM jazz V with a moses neck a new bridge and new piclups too, i like a lot those graphite necks and their sound can be great if you use a good preamp

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Moses necks are good :)

I've got a Stingray with a fretless Moses neck and it's mwah city. I actually prefer using rounds on it - not too worried about wear and tear, it will probably outlast me.

11. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I remember reading something a while back (can't remember where) that Moses did have a problem with there "formula" for their necks. In fact, I remember the problem being similar that some warping was reported due to heat/sunlight. I thought that whole situation was fixed. Anybody else know of this or have any additional info?

12. bigcatJC

bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    I don't think you can go wrong with Moses. I've had a fretless Moses Jazz neck on my Frankensteined bass for over ten years, and I love it! Everybody is right when they say you don't have to adjust the trussrod once you set it up. I only touch the trussrod when I switch string gauges. The tone is both brighter and deeper than the Fender neck it replaced, and it sings like nobody's business. When slapped, it can sound close to a fretted bass! To my ears, it has more midrange presence than a Modulous, and it's warmer than a Status - personal opinion, of course.

I've never played an outdoor gig with it, so I can't address warping in the sunlight. I do remember practicing on somebody's back porch once, and it didn't warp - but it was only for an hour or so. Maybe more time in the sun would have done something.