Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

moses graphite necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 16, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    it seems that the moses necks get a bad rap...

whats the problem with them? tthe prices don't seem too low, i mean, 400 vs 420 when compared to status.

although, the status do have that cool ook to them.

what's your experience?

-pc

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Not sure what you were trying to say with ook, but I agree the Carbon Fiber threading/tinting does look cooler than the moses. :cool:

I've never tried a moses, but there has to be a reason status and modulus graphite necks are better respected. Feel maybe?

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My experience? Excellent necks, but terrible service. Completely awful. So bad that it makes me wish somebody else made necks this nice, just so I could take my business elsewhere.

I have two of their necks, and had some minor issues with them (not related to quality) that took forever to resolve because Moses doesn't seem to know how to deal with the public.

4. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Status?

5. I had a pretty lame experience with Moses.

I had purchased a Jazz neck replacement from them and it came mired with cosmetic flaws, which I let go, but the lousy fretwork... bleh.

They were also quite heavy when compared to necks made by Status/Zon/Modulus.

I would suggest looking into graphite necks made by the aforementioned companies, excluding Moses.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I have a fretless moses neck that plays and sounds amazing. I had an issue where the neck would backbow if the sun was shining on the graphite fingerboard, and steve took the neck back and replaced the fingerboard with diamondwood at no cost! Diamondwood was an at-cost upgrade at the time.

So I'd say go moses, go diamondwood for the fb, and just know that you're dealing with a pretty small company, so if you have any issues just get on the horn and talk to them.

The necks make for a GREAT sounding bass.

7. I also have a moses fretless.I havent had any probs.I think the bad rap may come from the fact that,when these necks are new they require finishing.
    What I mean is, the fret ends need to be finished,fret/fingerboard need the edges rolled,...ect.
    I guess some people arent down to do all this or,pay someone to do the work.I like this fact cause when they are done they are sweet.

8. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    I think, like alot of things, the complaints are often the loudest and leave the most biggest impressions.

Plenty of people have Moses necks and love them. Most never have a problem, many who have a problem seem to get it worke out fine, but some (and yes, some is too many) have really bad experiences.

I have a Moses jazz neck that I think is great. But I got used, and I haven't had a problem with it, and so never have had any contact with the company. The happy and satisfied people are mostly quiet. Except Sadowsky owners:)

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA

Oops, sorry. Moses.

10. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    No, no, I meant, have you tried Status yet? They make graphite replacement necks, too! I know they are the only licensed maker of aftermarket MM necks (Moses makes one but it is to the dimensions...doesn't have the 3+1 headstock design).

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I use their strings, but not their necks. I play Strangebergers exclusively, and Moses are the only people who offer replacement necks for those.

Ultimately, I am really happy with the necks; I just wish Steve Mosher was a bit better with customer service.

12. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    so going with the moses neck is a better idea?

theres about 200 dollars of price difference (when you factor in shipping from the UK for status)

13. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    You get what you pay for...I haven't heard of problems with Status that i have heard with Moses. To me, customer support is all part of what you pay for. $200 isn't that much when you factor in "price to play."

14. No one here has mentioned Curbow yet. They make some of the best necks out there out of a material called rockwood which is like diamondwood. I believe it's made from condensed birch fibers impregnated with resin. They'll make necks in pretty much any configuration you could ask for to order. A little pricey but still worth serious consideration IMO.

15. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Not unlike my own experience, which is detailed here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158802

I hope things have improved over at Moses.

Matt

16. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Most odd, these complaints about Moses service.

My own experience with them would have to be described as exceptionally good, and includes the process of buying (sight unseen) a Vertical Jump Bass 5-string, and then the process of getting it repaired after I was careless enough to drop it on a concrete driveway while it was only protected by its gig bag. With one slight exception (a communications delay while he was travelling), Steve Mosher was absolutely top notch in his service - helpful, accessible, very generous in the repair cost - altogether, nothing bu positive experiences.

17. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I have one on my warmoth jazz body that I like a lot. I do wish it had the diamondwood fingerboard, but then again, I bought someone's project bass that just wasn't working for them and fixed it up. Great neck, though. Thin, great feel, and very stable.

18. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I haven't checked the Moses site lately, but some years ago I bought a MM replacement neck from them and it was a 3+1 design and an exact copy of the current MM dimensions. It fit perfectly and the existing tuners fit. It did require a bit of fret leveling though. I had no problems with it and Steve Mosher was excellent to deal with.

19. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Can't comment on Moses, sorry, but I have to say (again!) that Status necks, and the basses, are just great in my estimation. Design, construction, finish, quality, service - I haven't got anything but praise for them and that also goes for almost everything else I've ever read about them.

I had a Series 2000 bass that I sold years ago by necessity, much to my regret. Now I have an S2 classic bass and also two Warmoth J's with Status necks, one fretted, one fretless - these are my main two basses for 95% of my work.

20. i know steve mosher of moses is around on this board, you could do a search and see if you can find something helpful.

i have one guitar replacement neck, which feels good, but is a bit oddly curved. however, i didnt buy it from moses myself (custom guitar, thats how i got turned on to moses).

i also own a starhawk 5, which plays and sounds amazing. however, i did not feel i got the service i should neither when ordering or inquiring with some questions.

so, next time i'm looking for something up that street i'll probably check out some other company.