1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MOST CREATIVE ARTIST! [MUSICALLY]

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by modulus603, Apr 8, 2006.

1. modulus603

modulus603

Mar 17, 2006
    Who vouches for creativity ??
    It doesnt have to be related to bass playing but you gotta be good overall as musician , isnt it ??
    I really like what Roger Waters does ...he aint flashy , he plays along and its probably easy but he proves his point without being flashy.

I know that skill is absolutely neccessary, but everyone seems to for speed and flashiness and no seems to give **** about creativity . Any other bassplayers that are creative ?? Song names are welcomed !!

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mick Karn is creative without being too technical.

3. Creativity is SO important! Let's break the mold and all the rules people!! ;)

4. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    I'd have to say Les Claypool ranks up there. Talk about breakin the mold eh? Bass as a lead instrument? Crazy.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

He's not the only one, nor is he the first one, even in the genre of rock... nor is he the best one. This is coming from a big Claypool fan, he's creative, but I wouldn't say "Talk about breakin the mold eh? Bass as a lead instrument?."

6. i think michael manring is very high up on the creativity list

7. I tend to look at Claypool as more of a businessman these days. And, business seems to be GOOD FOR HIM!! ;)

8. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    my vote is a tie between SHavo Odadjian and Tom Araya but i think John Paul JOnes is pretty creative too. You know how the story goes :/

9. dabass

dabass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Listen to anything JACO has ever done......No one better...

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Avishai Cohen

11. I think Frank Zappa was pretty creative...i mean, ho else can compose for the bicycle ;)

12. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    I really thnk that Charles Mingus is the most creative bass player ever.

The guy from Radiohead is pretty good too at coming up with creative stuff.

13. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    Roger Waters was and is very creative! David Gilmour even though primarily a guitar player plays a mean bass! Steve HArris from Iron Maiden is another not really flashy person who is creative!

14. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Jonny Greenwood? Yeah, I love his style. If you meant their bass player, I think he's wonderful too; he always comes up with something that fits perfectly. Tom Morello is also one of my favourite players who is into the whole crazy mad effect thing.

15. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Steve Harris is an intersesting bassist of course,composing many songs,writing most of the lyrics,well...he's writing some of the guitar solos...Man,he created N.W.O.B.H.M. with a bass in his hands,what else??? :bassist:

16. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    There are a couple of old-school guys that are very creative!

In no particular order, other than I think they are all fantastic within their own styles:

Geddy Lee
    Bill Wyman
    James Jamerson
    Paul McCartney
    Brian Wilson

17. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    1+ Listen to Michael Hedges´ "Breakfast in the field"! Manring and Hedges made so beautiful music there. All the time you´re aware how much flashier or faster or whatever Manring can play, but he´s still keeping himself steadily in the service of the tune.

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Some left field options to get people thinking...

Gustav Holst
    Duke Ellington
    John McLaughlin
    Frank Zappa (as noted above)
    Stan Kenton
    Jimi Hendrix

JUst a few names that sprang to mind. :)

19. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    sting anyone? he's quite creative. what about that guy from the eagles, i think his name is schmitt or something like that, he wrote a couple of their songs. i think walter becker defenitley deserves a mention here as he was the dan's first bass player and wrote some truly amazing music.
    i guess cliff burton was creative too, but roger waters outshines them all though.

sheila e, is she not a bass player (amongst many other things maybe)?

20. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    some of my favs..

Bjork (ahead of her time, IMO)
    Adrian Belew
    David Byrne
    Chick Corea
    Pat Metheny
    Gilberto Gil
    David Bowie