Most Inexpensive Upright

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Petary791, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What is probably the most inexpensive, playable upright? The only one I see is the Dean Pace, but it appears that it's AWFUL. I'm a total noob to the whole upright thing, but I would love to hop on the bandwagon.
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just got my Pace today. I see you saw my post... or at least the other pace review post. If yo didnt' read mine I linked to it in the thread you just posted in. I pretty much gave all my thoughts here.

I've seen DBs new for as cheap as 3 or $400 on ebay - but from what I hear you get what you pay for. I have a DB in my bedroom that's borrowed and I can't get in touch with the guy I borrowed it from. It needs a setup and strings badly (It's incredibly hard to play) and for what it would cost me for the setup and strings, I bought the Pace. I'm kinda parylyzed on the other one because the guy could call me out of the blue asking for it back. If I invest in it I could get screwed.

As for EUB there have been some posts here about other EUBs going for a little less than $1000. Azolas I think.

That's about all I can say for now.

Oh no... one more thing - the guys on the DB side are gonna say you need to invest at least 1,200 if you want something that you're going to enjoy and want to play. I've a feeling they're right. I'm diggin the pace right now though - and the price was very right. :)
  3. Konabob

Konabob Konaweb LLC

Jan 9, 2004
    Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    I have sold just over 100 of these upright instruments.

I admit, they are very different from what you might be looking for, as they:
    1) Are Fretless
    2) Have Nylon Strings
    3) No active electronics
    4) Some of them are 3 string

But I have sold a bunch of them to performing musicians because:
    1) They sound really good
    2) They weigh less than 5 pounds
    3) 48" long in the gig bag. They fit in an airline overhead.
    4) $475 and $575

Mar 1, 2005
    Brighton UK.
    I bought a palatino EUB for pretty cheap. Most reviews here have been less then complimentary saying you get what you pay for but for someone who wants to start playing its a brilliant introduction if you are on a budget. Theres one on ebay at the mo in the UK for £469. as cheap as you can probly get.

my 3 cents...

Mar 1, 2005
    Brighton UK.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But weren't you saying it sounded clicky and brittle - that you weren't happy with the amplified piezo sound at all!!?? :confused:

My view is that if something sounds horrible then you are less likley to play it and practice - so it's a wasted investment, no matter how cheap...:meh:

Mar 1, 2005
    Brighton UK.
    Yep it did i guess, but not knowing anything about EUBs at the time i had no reference to copmpare it too, so to me it sounded ace at the time. I thought it was a good buy at the time - but now i have my NS, which is far far better, but costs 4 times the price.

Defo compared to the NS it sounds a bit brittle and crackly, but i would still recommend it for someone who has never played before.

maybe im contradicting myself here a bit.... :eyebrow:
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well to me - the sound is really the only thing that's important! OK if something is so hard to play or really ugly ;) - then it's going to be a problem...but when I go choosing instruments, it's how they sound that is really the only factor in whether I'd buy or not!

I'd rather wait and save up for something that sounds good, than play any instrument that didn't ...:meh:

I suppose it depends on what you've heard though - I've been listening to Jazz players for many, many years - getting great sounds out of DBs and on some occasions EUBs as well (e.g. Eberhard Weber) - I want to get close to that sound! :)