1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most Innovative Builders?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Of course, the first person I think of is Leo Fender. :)

The people that IMHO have taken bass guitar design into different directions than Fender are:
    Ron Wickersham
    Rick Turner
    Ned Steinberger
    Ken Smith
    Geoff Gould
    Michael Tobias
    Who are the other builders that you feel have made profound design innovations with the bass guitar? Please feel free to include pickup designers as well.

Thanks,
    -Art

2. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    Leo Fender is a safe bet.
    hm just realised that that was your first thought too. doesn't hurt to repeat it though.

3. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    those Status guys who made carbonfibre necks and bodies are innovative too.

4. Leo Fender gets my vote!

5. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    Was Rickenbacker the first maker to offer neck through? If so I think that's pretty innovative.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The truss rod wheel that comes in MusicMan instruments is an overlooked (IMO) design that should come standard on every electric guitar/bass. I think Dudley Gimpel is the genius behind it.

7. ken parker

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thanks for the replies so far!

mvw356: I believe you're right; Rickenbacker was the first company to offer a "mass-produced" neckthrough bass guitar.

spudmaster34: I've never seen a Parker instrument in the flesh, but besides their unique design, I've read he uses some pretty unique construction methods.

Alvaro, I couldn't agree more about MusicMan's trussrod wheel adjuster; it's a great improvement.

Thanks again, everyone. Please keep 'em coming!

BTW, I was looking at Ken Smith's website where it details all the things he's pioneered over the years that many other companies are featuring nowadays. Very impressive. That's what gave me the idea to start this thread.

9. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I have an old neck from an early 60s Vox bass, and it has the same style adjuster. MM did not bring forth this "innovation", sorry.

My top 3?

Leo
    Ned
    Mike

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Good to know. I'm glad they decided to 'implement' the spoke-wheel on their instruments anyway.