1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most sad story I've ever heard.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbass_5, Mar 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    I cried...
    Screenshot_2018-03-31-12-17-32-1-1.

2. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Pay for it then and there, and come back later. What a shame.

3. bluesfordan

bluesfordan

Sep 3, 2009
    N.H.
    this is what your story did to me

0mvWYjc.

Spectrum, PWRL, sikamikanico and 13 others like this.
  4. Ya snooze ya lose! Let this be a lesson for you. If you had bought the B15 then and there it would still have been waiting for you when you got back. :rollno:

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

It has wheels, no?

Edit: No wheels. Total deal breaker.

ThuzzleFump, kobass and Oddly like this.
  6. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Replace caps, replace/recone speaker, replace transformer, replace tubes, replace pots, basically get the whole damn amp rebuilt.

May not have been as good as a deal as ya might think.

MattZilla and Axstar like this.
  7. I bought one for $1000.00 last year, next time you find one for 35 bucks (next week:laugh:) pay right then and there and make sure you get a receipt.

8. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Sorry. Thanks for giving us all a warning to heed in the future.

ppiluk likes this.
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Why do all of this?

NKBassman, Pbassmanca and bobyoung53 like this.
  10. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Well, I was trying to sooth the thread's emotions.

My son and I have bought many old amps and basses and guitars and nothing is as good as it looks. Just about any amp that is 30 or more years old is gonna have issues. The capacitors are top of the list and usually all of those need replaced. Those old speakers have copper wound onto paper cones. Time and use and disintegration all take their toll.

Yeah, if the story is true, $35 bucks was outstanding and certainly worth buying. Even if it needed $1,000 in work, it was still a once in a life time find.

One of the tangents of Murphy's Law.............."nothing looks as good close up as it does from far away." This goes for that Ampeg and that probably why it was in a thrift store. In this day and age of the damn computer..............everybody knows what something is worth!

I don't know why the thread person didn't leave a deposit or his cell phone or driver's license or call his wife or friend or someone to come get him and the amp. Hit an ATM. Or do something to reserve this amp.

Does it make the person feel any better to know that the Ampeg B-18 is a whopping 50 watt amp with a low grade 18" mud slinging speaker?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    ppiluk, Axstar and Ant Illington like this.
  11. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    As has already been said, if I found a deal anywhere close to this, there is no way I would leave it up to “I’m sure it’ll be here in 30 min.”.

Put it on hold somehow, find a ride, anything - I feel bad for the guy, but c’mon, just a little common sense could’ve easily avoided the whole “one that got away” story.

Now excuse me, I’m going to go hit up a few thrift stores...

Pbassmanca and Omega Monkey like this.
  12. If the proceeds from a Veterans Thrift Store go to supporting Veterans, what he should have done is left a deposit to hold it, and come back with at least $500.

13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Pots are probably good—-might need to be cleaned
    Tubes? Replace if necessary
    Speaker probably dried out
    Capacitors—— definitely replace
    Transformer—- the last thing that would be bad—- I’d bet it’s good

bassdude51 and Omega Monkey like this.
  14. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Maybe, but I see a lot of very old amps with absolutely nothing wrong with them... but with customers and techs insisting that there's a whole list of things that are definitely bad and MUST be replaced (often with NOS parts that are as old or older than what's in it!)

Kind of funny, as I am actually selling a bunch of NOS parts (large quantities) from some production I did years ago to a service guy who tries hard not to prey on such victims... it's hard when internet forums make it more like shooting fish in a barrel. Now some are expensive unobtanium parts, and they have very real value if they are needed, but there's plenty of junk (including 20 year old electrolytics still in sealed bags that appear to be highly sought after (for some reason), and maybe 10,000 old carbon film 1/2 watt resistors (which are no better than the new parts). Makes me wonder sometimes.

dbase, bobyoung53, MattZilla and 4 others like this.
  15. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    :..(

jazzbass_5 and agedhorse like this.
  16. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    Trade in your bike:thumbsup:

instrumentalist likes this.
  17. Some of them came with British Goodman's speakers, very high quality and very good sounding. Not all amps have been neglected either, just choose wisely.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    bassdude51 and Pbassmanca like this.
  18. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Just to be clear, this was told to me by a guy on facebook. I personally would have camped out and had the girlfriend come get me and the amp that I probably would have traded my bike for.

zoonose and bobyoung53 like this.
  19. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Should have offered a kidney right there and then as a down payment.

bobyoung53 and Pbassmanca like this.
  20. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

That's crazy.......