moving on...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Mar 3, 2005.

1. ok, so i'm having a dilemma. I've been with my current band almost 5 years (2 different incarnations), and i've always had at least one side project going of some kind. Well, one of those projects, i helped start like 3-4 years ago, and i ended up quitting after recording because of some nonsense between me n the singer. They released the disc with my playing, started touring, etc...

well, they've gotten pretty big and they're currrent bassist quit. so i called and got my job back :D ....

Now my current gig... we all go as far back as high school, and i'm afraid i won't be able to commit, knowing that i'm gonna be touring some with my other group. These guys are my friends, i've been a driving force behind these guys, and i'm trippin on how to tell them i'm gonna basically..... move on. I'm not getting younger and i want to hit the road. I'm nervous because there's been things where i've quit or decided against doing and then shooting myself in the foot later on. acting first, thinking second you know?? that's one thing buggin me.. :meh:

I'm stoked i get to play music that i wrote like 3-4 years ago (and the new stuff duh), have a lot of fun and get some mileage out of it, and play groovin stuff instead of "thinker's rock".. i mean it's cool that band members from other groups are way into us, but that's what .002% of the population?? i need mass approval!!!

so how do i tell my guys i'm bailing? take them to dinner? email them? carrier pigeon?? what???
  2. Buy them a pitcher of beer so soften the blow! Wait for them to just get a little buzzed so they can't get mad at you then let them have it.

It worked for me anyway in about the same situation.
  3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I was in the same situation as you a couple of years ago. One band consisted of high school buds. We were togeter for about 5 years. Four years into that band, I was presented with the opportunity to start up/play with another band. This new band was going to afford "greener pastures" as-far-as gigs were concerned, plus the chance to play with other musicians that were not friends of mine.

The best solution I could come up with was to tell them exactly what was going on. I explained to them that I had wonderful times jamming with them, but I wanted a breath of fresh air, so to speak. I also left the door open to the chance of us getting back together again (which we did for a while, then life broke up the band - both of them, for that matter.) They understood where I was coming from and wished me luck with the new band.
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    did the same thing, what made my situation worse is the guitar player is my cousin. I basically told them I was tired of doing all the work and I was out, GOOD LUCK!
  5. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I would like to hope they would respect you more if you told them in person than through an EMail(or carrier pigeon).

Good luck,
  6. Thanks for the advice guys... i was a little hesitant to go the carrier pigeon route, but the looks on their faces would be priceless :p . anyhoo if anyone cares, here's the 2 bands so you can get an idea of the differences. Both have downloadable music. I'm playing bass on both...

Current band... the one i might be leaving (no worries they don't hit this site)

and the one i'm re-joining
    (the old bassist is still pictured, but i'm playing on the MP3's and the streaming audio)

so if you're down, check them out and give me some more input...
  7. Thicker is a much better band in my opinion, from the clips I heard at least.
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

G, just come clean. Tell them the way you feel, and give it to them straight. A good clean honest break is better than any games or BS. And it leaves the door open for future projects.
  9. best advice yet. thanks man :D
  10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

You dont think they would bail if they had the same chance??? I bet they would...

And yes, there's a problem with getting older... IT SUCKS!