1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moving the music room / studio. Cooling question...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Big Hoss, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Okay this is going to sound a bit strange, mostly because the inquiry is more home construction / IT related, but it is for my music room...

I am moving my home office / music room into a larger room, with a larger / walk in closet. The closet is large enough I am going to move my IT equipment into the closet using a 20u rack, and rack mount it all, with the exception of a docking station, KVM cable into the closet, and of course keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

I have already tested to see if it works, and yes, my Behringer USB Audio Interface does work to record via my cluster to a VM. (Using oVirt cluster to get the job done). Latency, as far as I can tell, is no different than going into my laptop, so what the heck, go for it right?

So anyway, I am going to have 5 PCs, a RAID enclosure, 2 16 port, 1 24 port switches, an 8 port KVM, WiFi router, VoIP adapter, printer, and cable modem in this closet...

How the heck do I get AC into the closet, and get the hot air out?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Have access to the space above? Attic, or another floor?

Bassbeater likes this.
  3. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Vent near bottom of closet door, exhaust at the closet ceiling. If you don't have access to space above the room it will be complicated and likely unattractive, with ductwork in the studio room. Also it is tricky to silence ductwork, so keeping it away from microphones and listening areas is preferred.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  4. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Yeah, easy attic access. Single story home, undecked attic above this room.

bholder likes this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Vent in door to suck, vent in closer ceiling to blow, and a big fan. If you want to save heat/cold, use insulating ducting to spit the air out someplace else inside. I have a closet set up like this for other reasons. ;)

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    You have a good setup. Up and out through the attic! If you keep the door closed and get enough air flow you probably won't need any fans in the room or in the closet.
    I've used computer/muffin fans for this. you can stack them at the end of the flex duct in the attic space. Put them far away from the room and consider making a box to dampen the "whine" they make which mics seem to have magic powers to amplify. i use 12vdc power supplies for the fans. computer fans are good because they are designed to run constantly for years. If you put them out of sight it's a good idea to mark in your calendar to clean them every month or so.
    Good luck!