1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moving to 5 string.. Fender Mex Deluxe Jazz V VW?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AceOnBassWicked, Jun 7, 2012.

1. AceOnBassWicked

AceOnBassWicked

Oct 29, 2010
  2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    The "Noiseless" pickups are mediocre at best, the B string is abysmal.

The fretwork on the MM is "okay".

The 5 inline tuners is a BAD design. (too low of tension on the B string for starters)..

I'd give it a pass and buy something used. (Like one of my Warmoth Jazz V !) :)

3. clutebass

clutebass

Jan 15, 2010
    Cincinnati
    I own this in black. I'm not a huge fan of the active pups, but I can definitely dial in a good tone with this bad boy and its my main weekend gigger. A few things to keep in mind about it purely through my experience with mine is I have found that I can't attack the low B as hard as the other strings without getting some clipping. The low B does leave a little to be desired but all in all I get "my tone" out of this bass as much as I do my four string jazz and my two p basses. Pretty good bang for the buck.

4. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
    What do you mean by this?

5. AceOnBassWicked

AceOnBassWicked

Oct 29, 2010
    Okay :) Thank you for the responses!

I can't seem to find any decent used 5-strings at the price of 1000$..

Can you guys recommend a solid 5-stringer, which will keep in tune? :)

6. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Used Stingray.

7. AceOnBassWicked

AceOnBassWicked

Oct 29, 2010
    Thats more like 1500$, at least in my area...

Also, I already own a stingray, and I kinda want some diversity in my basses, if u get me :)

8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Used Sterling?

9. AceOnBassWicked

AceOnBassWicked

Oct 29, 2010
    I already own a stingray, and I kinda want some diversity in my basses, if u get me :)

10. PDK

PDK

Nov 14, 2008
    Cleveland TN
    I just bought a Lakland 55AJ from Bass Chicago for $1150 shipped. I havn't played it yet its at my house. Laklands are known for great B Strings. Just a thought. The website list them for 1300 but they will drop it some.

11. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
  12. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    1) not all B strings are going to work on this bass, the distance from the bridge to the tuning gear is shorter on this bass, the wrapping will in most cases, still be making contact with the nut groove or;

2) the taper on the B string won't have tapered down enough to wrap around those 14mm tuner posts. thus, breakage.

2) There is insufficient break angle from the nut to the tuner post to provide down pressure. Weak tension on the B string = floppy thud.

This is based on my experience and my observations and conclusions. Your mileage may vary.

13. AceOnBassWicked

AceOnBassWicked

Oct 29, 2010
    So where do you live?

In America, because I dont really want to buy from outside Europe due to tolls and taxes, that can get quite expensive like 50% of whats the bass is worth.

Stupid danish import rules

14. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I have the four string cousin of this bass and the fretwork is fine, the pickups are fine, the C string (I tune CGDA) is fine. Maybe the comments that were made about the geometry of the five in line tuners are valid, that I could not judge. The Squier VM Jazz V and Active Jazz V are both quite good. If you can get them, take a look. The Schecter fives are nice, the Ibanez SRs (I have an SR505) are nice if you like a narrow string spacing and the same goes for the Peavey Millennium 5 BXP AC. There are plenty of good fivers at and well below your price point here, don't know about where you live.

Ken

15. labman72

labman72

Jun 16, 2011
    Does the Danish import laws apply to importing a used bass?

16. 1) Go to a local music shop... look at the price tag.
    2) If it's within your price range play it...
    3) If you like it, play it though the best AND worst amplifier at the store.
    4) If you still like it (feel, playability, tone, etc.) buy it. If not, leave the store and to to another, and repeat steps 1 through 4. Buying based internet reviews and opinon is good (don't get me wrong... TB'ers tend to know their stuff!). Buying based on personal opinion is better.

edit: You don't need the best 5-string bass; just the best 5-string bass for you!

17. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Carvin's brand La Bella Hard Rocking steels have a tapered B that is too long, I'm talking about the exposed string before any taper starts that would be small enough diameter to wrap around those small 14mm posts without breaking.

Any design that prohibits my choice of string is an instant non starter. Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone considering Fenders Mexican Standard with 5 inline tuners.

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wait for a used US Jazz to show up in the classifieds or locally. The 5 in line tuners aren't too bad if the bass is setup properly. There are many pros playing those. Sharay Reed (gospel bassist) kills on his!

19. krispsound

krispsound

May 8, 2010
    If your gonna go 5 string get something with a 18v preamp. That's my 2 cents. I had a 5 string US jazz with inline tuners for years. Everything below the low e was a few decibels quieter. Which IMHO the only reason you would go down that low is to add some power to the song. Just got a Pavel Jazz Pro and I'm in love with it. Again that's just my opinion.

20. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I think it’s a beautiful bass; I’d say try one, and any others you can play and decide.

I also have no doubt it stays in tune just fine, and the B string is also fine.

I have an older MIM Standard Jazz V with in-line tuners (I prefer them), stays in tune, strings have been changed, plays beautifully… no problems at all.