1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moving to guts: starter guts D&G set?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by hellsq, Sep 13, 2017.

1. hellsq

hellsq

Jan 30, 2015
    Russia
    Hello! Finally, I started to thinking about gut. I play mostly bluegrass/folk/folk-punk, 50%/40% pizz/slap and a little bowing sometimes. Strings that I used in a past on my DB:

- Superiour Bassworks standart & deluxe: cool slap sound, nice bass sound on D ang G, very low acoustic volume. Very poor sounded A, no sustain at all on E. Piezo volume is ok, but there is a enough difference in volume between superiours and innovations for me to decide to not mix them. Deluxe version is more expensive and more useless: same sound but with annoying hum on slides. And this stings hurts my fingers when I do a lots of slides.

- Innovation Super Silvers: awesome sound of E and A: lots of volume, great sustain (similar to spiros), cool slap sound. D & G - ok slap sund, but very uneven tension - G's tension is very high, much more than E and A, so I must slap very hard and have very little action.

- Innovation Silver Slaps: fixed tension problems of Super Silvers, still awesome E and A, but D sounds a bit worse and G's slap sound is poor and very different from other strings. Pizz sound of G is also different, even colour of G string is different (I bought new full set).

So, now I satisfied with sound of my E and A and not satisfied with D and G, especially G.

My friend bought for himself indian gut strings, few month ago. I have played on his bass and I have found them kinda awesome: extremely cool slap sound on A, D and G, extremely nice pizz sound of D and G, acceptable sustain on A and really poor E (similar to Superiours).

So, I started to think, which sets of not expencive guts worth trying? I have found quite inexpencive strings sets and single strings on thomann: Lenzner and Conrad Götz Pfitzner. Anybody have any experience with this strings? Or maby I missed something and there is more cool and not very expencive guts? And is there a reason to buy a full set or maby just try D+G or A+D+G set? Or poor E is not common guts issue and more expencive guts E can sound cool? Maby guts with metal wound can give more sustain (more than super-poor on superiourbassworks and indian guts E)?

2. Brad_Pearson

Brad_Pearson

Jun 5, 2015
    Cheapest way to get into a set of guts is probably the Evah Slap set. Im thinking about grabbing a set myself in the next few weeks.

3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I would say your easiest bet right now is to mix a gut D & G with your Silver Slaps. Those two present far less problems than do the E and A selections for gut. It will give you a good idea if they are for you. Keep your eye in the classifieds here and get them used. Guts can last practically forever if cared for, so a used set isn't likely too beat to tar.

Lenzners are good strings. Not the best, but certainly better than the cheaper options out there for gut. I used them for years. They come up often used.

So - go for a D and G plain gut used to mate with the Silver Slaps E and A.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Steve Boisen, Reiska and DoubleMIDI like this.
  4. As a user of all plain gut, I must admit that the E objectively sort of stinks. I just choose to stick it out.

5. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Good advice here.

- Steve

6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    A little bit of patience and you'll find a great set of guts for very fair prices right here in the classified ads.

7. JC Pat

JC Pat

Sep 6, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    I recommend trying Efrano G & D guts from Lemur. They are great bang for the buck. I've had them on a German ply (mixed with Evah Slap E & A) and they have held up very well. Just oil the strings and clip the hairs as they appear. The Efranos have more tension than the Superior bass works deluxe strings and therefore aren't as easy to slap but you'll love the volume and tone you get from them.

John Chambliss likes this.
  8. hellsq

hellsq

Jan 30, 2015
    Russia
    As I can see, they have different tension versions: low, middle and strong. Do you talking about strong version of these strings or middle?

In 1-2 songs that I play in band I use a lots of fast and hard slap, high tension of Super silvers G makes my right hand very tired. Id more like to have mixed set with kinda even tension on all 4 strings. I thinking about using E and A from Super silvers set (they have more volume and "gut tone" than Silver Slaps and just slightly greater tension) and guts D & G. The only question is what inexpencive guts brands worth trying.

9. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hello, beginner gut player here. IME even tension between the higher and lower strings, with enough string height, is the way to go. Charlie Haden-ish setups with high tension low strings / guts on the top allways leads to a situation where you get either enough tension for the lower vs higher strings. These guys propably didn`t have this much choises as we do nowadays, but my trials with, say, Evah weich / plain gut tops has allways ended up with a impossible compromise. Now I`m playing Evah slap E / weich gauge plain guts, but the Garbo light E should be here tomorrow. The E.P slap E does the job, but is annoingly weak when bowed. That`s the general problem for me with synthetic E.P slaps, lifeless, powerless, even when set up high. My G is at 11 mm`s. Not sure if the light Garbo will be any better, but the reqular gauge Garbos are strong, pizz and arco.

10. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Same experience with synthetic Evah slaps - love my regular Garbos!

Reiska likes this.
  11. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Interesting. I'm playing Evan Weich E and A over Gaumt Red Diamond gut D and G. Tension and tone are quite compatible. However, I am not a slap player.

Reiska likes this.
  12. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    The Evah synthetic Slap E and A are very different than the usual Evahs. Lower tension and a really soft sound.

Reiska likes this.
  13. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Evah synthetic slaps EA are great strings, and demand a lot from the player side me thinks. Garbos just are stronger, a lot, but I haven`t tried the Light E yet. Whatever floats anyones boat, and I mean tension. Don`t know if Red Diamonds are like Pirastro nylon wrapped Pizzicatos, heavy tension guts, like the most of Pirastro gut strings. Pizzicato GD Evah weich AE would be a great match, talking about overall tension of strings. Anyway, talking here on my experience, the Evah weich E is too high when your plain gut starts to shine. Other way around, your Evah weich E sounds like voice of god while the G can`t be heard. When you find the balancing point your left hand will tell that Evah weichs are way too high. I quess theres allways room for calibrating the technique, but my experience is this.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 2:54 PM