Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mp3.com to close!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Nov 14, 2003.

1. following the removal of payback for playback, the introduction of the platinum artist sytem, then the limits on free accounts and a gold artist level being introduced, presumably all due to diminishing advertising revenue, the inevitable has happened;

got this email today;

"CNET Networks, Inc announced today that it has acquired certain assets of MP3.com, Inc.

Please be advised that on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 at 12:00 PM PST the MP3.com website will no longer be accessible in its current form.

Following a transition period, CNET Networks, Inc. plans to introduce new and enhanced artist services. If you would like to receive email updates on these new services and notification when they are available, as well as an invitation to their special artists-only preview, please sign up here.

Your personal information, music, images, related content or other information will not be transferred to CNET Networks, Inc. or any other third party.

MP3.com's content administration tools will remain available until the site is redirected on December 2, 2003. Please note, however, that promptly following the removal of the MP3.com website, all content will be deleted from our servers and all previously submitted tapes, CD-ROMs and other media in our possession will be destroyed. We recommend that you make alternative content hosting arrangements as soon as practicable.

Please remember to update or remove all links and references to the URL www.mp3.com. Additionally if you would like a historical record of your page, we recommend that you capture screen shots of the page as well as your artist statistics pages since they will no longer be available once the site goes offline.

MP3.com stopped collecting monthly fees for Gold and Platinum Artist Service subscriptions as of November 3, 2003. For any monthly Gold or Platinum Artist Service subscription fees MP3.com received during the period beginning October 13, 2003 and ending November 2, 2003, MP3.com will be issuing a refund that will be prorated to reflect a termination of the subscription as of November 2, 2003. For any previously paid annual Gold and Platinum subscription fees MP3.com has received during 2003, MP3.com will be issuing a refund that will be prorated to reflect a termination of the subscription as of November 2, 2003. Any artists who subscribed to the Platinum or Gold Artist Service after November 2, 2003 will receive a full refund of any fees paid.

If you subscribe to any other MP3.com services, you will receive separate email messages with specific information about refunds and service availability.

Participants in the truSONIC Business Music Service program will be receiving an email update about the process for their continued participation in that program.

All content uploads will cease immediately. Approvals of previously uploaded content will continue through Friday, November 14, 2003.

CDs will be available for purchase through Monday, November 17, 2003 at 12:00 PM PST.

MP3.com will perform a final artist accounting and check distribution on or around December 1, 2003. Any artist account with a balance of at least $25.00 will qualify to receive a payment in the final artist accounting (reduced from the usual requirement of $50.00). Payment of CD royalties will be included in the final artist accounting. If you anticipate a payment, please verify and update your artist account and contact information no later than November 20, 2003. Click here for help updating your contact information.

Please be sure to check the Sophie message board and System Service Report (SSR) for further updates.

On behalf of all of us at MP3.com we thank you for your patronage and continued support. It has been a privilege to host one of the largest and most diverse collections of music in the world. MP3.com wishes to express its sincere thanks to each of you for making our website an important part of your musical journey. We wish you continued success.

Sincerely,
    MP3.com"

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's a shame - although I've not spent much time there for quite a while, I came across some good music there and used it to host a few simple tracks.

Over the last year I've been using Emusic.com although they've recently changed their service - for $9.99 I can now only download up to 40 tracks, which means I'm far more likely to meet the limit than I did when it was set at 2000+ tracks. It's still a reasonable price per track... until I have a month where I don't get round to downloading my full quota and then the 'price per track' starts to creep up. It's also a pain for me, as I tend to work on an album by album basis in my listening habits.

Mind you, so far none of the downloads I've made seem to have registered on their counter so perhaps they're not quite on top of things yet!

Wulf

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Frankly I'm shocked that it lasted as long as it did. And I was just listening to the Talkbass station the other day. Shame about that.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, I never got the TB station to work either :spit: ;)

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is a shame.:( I wonder if there is any other place that we could have something like the Talkbass station?

I just upgraded to Platinum a few months ago. I guess that not enough people pay for hosting to keep the site afloat.

Time to check into CD Baby, I guess.:(

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I remeber when my band (Pizzlestains Deluxe) beat Taproot on the Rapcore charts. Cracks me up everytime I think about it. Good site, conceptually, but it had little bugs I didn't like. Still a shame it's closing.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    What about IUMA? AFAIK they (a better, if somewhat more obscure) are still kickin'. www.iuma.com

8. I was thinking about signing up to IUMA a while ago when mp3.com did the 3songs only limit thing, but the website is a mess- is their basic service free?
    their upload tool thing has been "down for maintainance" for some time now.

there's Vitaminic (linked to IUMA)

I can't believe Peoplesound is still going.
    ah, I remember in 2000 in the midst of the internet boom, when Peoplesound were paying out a £100 advance to every artist that signed up.
    Ernesto Schmidt made over £1 million selling the company.
    all worthless now.

RIP mp3.com - I liked all the stations and genre charts.

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    That sucks!

:mad: :( :mad: :(

Goodbye, good friend.

10. apparently mp3.com went bust as it had to pay out lots to the RIAA/various major labels for copyright infringement due to their allowing commercially released material to be uploaded (remixes etc.).

anyway, I've set up home at www.soundclick.com -unlimited tracks, dunno about stations.

11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  12. Soundclick.com is the way to go. Free, unlimited tracks, and instant approval. The only drawback is that it isnt as pretty as mp3.com.

13. I am sad to see them go, however for me the party was over long ago. After the My Mp3 and subsequent RIAA lawsuit it was never the same.
    When they first started there was a real sense of being able to do it yourself and get your music out there. The artist I worked with was making mid 5 figure money on the payback deal and mp3 CD sales. We played a couple shows at the MP3 offices and the staff including Michael R. was nothing but kind and generous. The employee lounge was set up like a night club with a a stage, lights, sound and everything including video games. I got to record in the mp3.com studio too.
    I promoted a Club Mp3.com show in San Diego and it was a real cool vibe. We had mp3.com artists from as far away as Minnesota perform and we played mp3.com artist's music between act's. But the grassroots vibe seemed to fade.
    Now Micahel R. is involved in a lawsuit with Micrsoft over the "Lindows" operating system. I get the feeling he likes to stir it up.