Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MPM Tail Piece

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by tww001, Nov 26, 2003.

1. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    I'm getting ready to buy one of Mike Pecanic's tail pieces, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which type of wood I should purchase. I play about 80-90% pizz. and am looking for something that will really open up my tone and possibly darken it a little. any suggestion?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Ask Dr. Mike - he's the guy who knows.

3. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    I tried emailing Dr. Mike, but the email address on his website came back with a MAILER DEAMON message.

4. Since you haven't been able to get in touch with Mike, I'll offer you my opinion (which Dr. Mike agreed with in our last discussion). The species of wood has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is all about the weight (actually density) of the wood or plastic, or aluminum, or what have you. Generally speaking, pizz players should try a lighter weight TP. Arco players tend to prefer heavier (usually ebony) tailpieces.

5. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    Generally speaking, don't different species have different densities? After reading through the Newbie links, I can tell from what many have said that I need a lighter TP, but which types of wood are less dense?

6. Until you can confer with Mike, I suggest you do an internet search for wood density. There are lots of sites with that info available.

7. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    thanks, i'll try and get in touch with him again

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Is your bass laminated or carved? In my experience, most plywoods like a light tailpiece, maybe because laminated tops are stiff. If you want a pretty and light wood, check out Mike's quilted maple.

9. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    my bass is laminate...that quilted maple is quite pretty and would look nice against my blonde maple top...:)

10. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    and if anybody would know about quilted maple, it would be Arnold. I'm now the proud possessor of offcuts from Arnold's (well, Lou's) "Quilt-o-rama" bass. Folks, you can't imagine how hard it is to work that stuff, gotta give Arnold his due for that bass!

11. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Thanks, Dr. Mike...yes, perhaps there was a little sadism involved in my sending you that wood. ;)