1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mr Indecisive - Let's have a poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ead, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Yamaha BBN5

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. Ibannez BTB405QM

21 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. ead

ead

Aug 1, 2012
    Preston, England
    Looking to acquire a budget 5-string to see how I get on. I'm torn between an Ibanez BTB405QM and a Yamaha BBN5, both within my budget and reasonably close.

What do you think guys and girls?

2. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Don't know much about either, but I chose the Yamaha for its simplicity of design. The Ibanez is stylistically a bit over the top for my taste. But I'm an old guy....

3. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    I voted BTB... Love those babies... I have played them before but never owned one. BTBs have great playability and cost next to nothing compared to basses that are of equal stature. IMO you would be happy with it. BUT I have not played a Yamaha BB... so take it with a grain of salt???

4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Kinda apples and oranges. The Ibby is Active, and the Yammy is passive. Ibby is 35 scale while Yammy is 34. If I had to choose, I would look at the Ibby for more tonal options.

5. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    jlepre is right.... Like i said... I havent played a BB so I'm on the out for that....

6. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    haven't played a BTB, but I definitely enjoyed the Yamaha. I'm not a 5 string guy at all, but I found that those basses have great comfort, and for the money, really good sound.

7. Have you considered a Peavey import 5-string? Grind 5 is passive (35" neckthru), and Millennium 5 AC is active (34" bolt-on). There's also a passive Millennium 5. If BTB is a budget bass for you, then you'll love the Peavey prices.

8. SBMM ray35

9. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    Ok y'all are getting outside my knowledge base LOL

10. ead

ead

Aug 1, 2012
    Preston, England
    Thanks people, keep them coming. Peavey, interesting suggestion...

11. Used USA peavey

12. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I have a USA Foundation 5 that I am putting on TB classifieds this weekend :)

13. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    Big Yamaha fan here so that got my vote. High integrity company who don't cut corners to shave off cost. True, they are designed to be affordable in the main but there are no nasty surprises when you get to really know one of their instruments.

14. ead

ead

Aug 1, 2012
    Preston, England
    Yeah +1. My first fretless was an RBX270, to see if I could get into it. Had it for 4 years, modded it and now buying a custom f/l. Sound instrument with a great neck.

15. ead

ead

Aug 1, 2012
    Preston, England
    Thanks people. Looks like a BBN5 in natural is on its way to me. Interestingly matching the poll choice.

16. BTB: longer scale and overall beautiful build, generally speaking. But also the Yamaha would be a good choice. Rather a matter of personal preference...