1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MST3k Appreciation Station

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jerose, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Alright, I've been dying to ask this question for a long time here:

Any Mystery Science Theater 3000 diehards around?

I've been a fan of this show since before I can remember, and I find it's one of the most creative and hilarious TV shows that was ever aired. Because of my intense love for it, I have created a thread for anyone else to enjoy this masterpiece of Joel, Mike, Crow, Servo, Gypsy, Cambot, the Mads, Bobo, Brain Guy and their glorious experiments with the Satellite of Love.

Having a slow day at work today, so I'm watching one of my favorite episodes, Mitchell, starring Joe Don Baker as MITTENS! And the sad departure of Joel from the SoL :(.

So, hopefully more people here have seen MST3k and can join in the discussion of things such as Sandy Frank, Torgo's Pizza, the Invention Exchange, Patrick Swayze Christmas, why I often panic while making sandwiches, Zap Rowsdower, watching out for snakes, and more!

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What a fantastic show. I remember watching that with my sister when we were but young 'uns. We would stay up late on the weekends to watch that show and literally be rolling on the floor.

I was always more of a Joel fan, but that's just because I'll always see Mike as the "new guy". They're all damn funny, though.

3. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Joel was meh.... Towards the end his delivery got better, while I can't praise him enough for coming up with the show.. I just found him to be dull.. He sure did have his oments though.. :p

My favorite Joel episodes are as follows..

Catalina Caper
    Egah
    Pod People
    Mitchell

There are quite a few others that had their moments as well, but they are my favorites.. I liked the mads, Frank and Dr. Forrester were the best, IMHO. J. Elvis was horrid and I am glad that he left, Kevin made the best Tom Servo.. Bill Corbet was a better Crow.. IMHO.

Now Mike on the other hand was the best.. ;) I am biased... His delivery was just out of this world good towards the end of the shows life. I liked just about every episode that he was in, mostly the 7th through the 9th season, with the 8th and 9th being my favorite.

I am going to leave you with one of my favorite scenes:

"Might as well get my pall-malls while I'm at it, AHhhaHA! VANNNNCE!!1!"

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    This is why I love Netflix. I said to myself, "Man, I really want to see some MST3K now, but don't own any! I better see how much it costs to get the seasons on DVD."

Nuts to that! Hercules vs. The Moon Men is now at the top of my queue. Hooray! :D

5. Falkner

Falkner

Mar 5, 2008
    I love that show! Sadly I was only introduced to it recently and only get to watch whatever episodes are on Youtube. If I have to name a favorite episode, I'd have to say Final Sacrifice, what a non-stop trainwreck of Canadian proportion :bag:

As for the Mike vs Joel debate, I have to go with Mike. Not that Joel is bad or anything. Both were hilarious.

Oh, and thanks for bringing up that Torgo sketch; I just got home with pizza and breadsticks...

6. jazzy grille

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    OMG.. Final Sacrifice was good stuff!

"Ohh no... I don't go map findin' behindin'."

"You knew my father?"... "KNEW HIM!? HE WAS DELICIOUS!!"

"FOOD!"

7. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    "aaahhHHHHHHHH I FORGOT THE LIQUOR STORE CLOSES AT 8!!"

"Heh, I think the movie is going really well"

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun..."

"And I will be the one to hold Larry Csonka down, kiss him so hard. I'll take Larry Csonka's breath away."

Final Sacrifice may be my all-time favorite episode as well. :D

8. Falkner

Falkner

Mar 5, 2008
    I think I'm going to have to watch that episode again tonight. :D

"Wow!" "These are really cheap sets"

"Can I interest you in a replacement door?"

"I'm laundry!"

"Am I anything like my father?" "No, he was masculine and likable"

So many good quotes from that one.

9. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    I didn't get into MST3K until a couple of years ago, but it is one of the most brilliant shows I have ever seen. Once I save up some money(after my divorce), I'm planning to buy every episode that I can get my hands on. Currently, I own 4 episodes on VHS, and a couple on DVD.

10. Dangle

Dangle

May 28, 2008
    Big Mc L arge Huge

11. jazzy grille

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Space Mutiny.. :oops:

"Hey! She's dead..." .. "Nice you to give that dead lady another chance, sir."

Time Chasers was a classic as well..

"It looks like someone taped a dinner-roll to his chin"

"I left my keys in the manchu wok of the future!"

"I'll walk back to the past."

I can go ALL day... Sadly. :meh: :D

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I used to own a Tom Servo "I'm Huge!" shirt, and I still have the Clowns in the Sky album on my iPod. One of my favorite shows, although you have to be in a certain relaxed mood to watch them.

13. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    I forgot to add earlier that I put a sitcker of the guys' silouettes on my squier strat, with Joel pointing up at a sticker of a dragon flying.

14. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    My brother is a true geek fan of the show (he went to the Minneapolis convention with a bunch of friends) and he has pretty much every episode on VHS tape. I've probably watched more than half by now and I've never failed to laugh my butt off. The funniest episode ever, IMO is the MST3k movie "This island Earth". I laugh myself sick every time I see it.

Every Christmas Eve day my bro' watches the Santa Claus episode with Merlin the Wizard and the devil. Just wow. :rollno:

I especially like the "shorts" they do like the car salesman training video, the marriage counselor video and especially the self esteem video starring "MR" B Natural.

[​IMG]

15. WE ARE THE SUPREME RACE
    WE HAVE THE SUPREME WEAPONS
    WE HAVE THE SUPREME PIZZA!

or from Mitchell

"He's fallen just short of the green"

16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    oh, man. it was great when sci fi channel played the latter-day episodes on saturday mornings--but i guess they finally realized that it didn't make sense to play a show making fun of low budget, crappy movies, then follow it up with a barrage of low budget, crappy movies. :meh:

when i was a junior at UF, i was an officer for the society of physics students and we had an event just to show the "space mutiny" episode. it was a big hit. :D

RAIL KILL!

forgot what the episode title was, but i loved the part with a timer that was going by really fast... "introducing... new, FASTER seconds!" ...i think there was a dinosaur or something, followed by a lecture on forced perspectives by tom servo and mike.

17. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    LOVED that show when I was a kid. I remember Turkey Day (Thanksgiving Day marathon). Good times!

My favorite invention was when they combined the Aliens loader power suit with a drum set. GENIUS!!

18. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    If anyone is bored today and wants to watch a quality MST3k episode (Joel era), check out Time of the Apes, Ep. 306 (on youtube). You'll quickly learn why important facts, such as why Johnny doesn't care and why he is dumber than rocks.

For the Mike fans, check Youtube for Hobgoblins, Ep. 907.

Both some quality flicks for those who haven't seen them. And for those of you that have... watch them again!

19. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Mr. B Natural severly creeped me out as a child! I've never seen a note so confused over it's gender. My favorite short, however, is definitely Spring Fever, with Springy the "spring loaded bastard." Also worth mentioning is Why Study Industrial Arts with that creepy coach.

Hahaha that is hands down one of the best moments of Mitchell. The guy barely even did anything and then gets shot!

20. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yup! Pity it's not around anymore. Or is it still being shown on cable TV somewhere?

MM

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021