1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD 535-24

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tb-player, Feb 4, 2020.

1. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    The first ‘nice’ bass I ever bought was in the very early 90’s. It was a Tobias Classic 5... neck-thru & made with walnut, wenge & alder. Gorgeous. Of course, that was pre-internet, so I was psyched that, according to the salesman at Chuck Levins in (okay, just outside) DC, I was the proud owner of one of the last pre-Gibson Tobias basses ever made.

Fast forward a few years after Al Gore invents the internet and I now have access to the Tobias serial number website, which tells me that my precious Tobias isn’t as special as I had hoped. It was one of the first purely Gibson Tobias basses to be made.

So I traded it.

Of course, I’ve missed it ever since because it was still a very nice bass. And that was a dumb reason to get rid of such a fine player.

Fast forward again a few decades (and a ton of basses later) to last week. I found a gorgeous MTD 535-24 on Reverb. I asked a question about it and the guy replied with an offer... a good offer. Then a better offer. Then free 2-day shipping. I couldn’t say no. So one PayPal Credit 6-month no-interest transaction later, I have a new bass on the way.

I received it last Friday and all I can say is wow. It basically looks brand new. The neck is perfect. And the tone is amazing... full lows and sizzling highs.

Just for fun, I took it to a gig on Saturday night. I got as many compliments on the look and tone as I typically do for my custom Overwater. That’s saying a lot!

Im curious what other MTD 535 or 635 owners use for an amp? Strings? Favorite tone settings? Etc etc.
    -------------------------
    Update:
    And... now this beauty is for sale, due to an unforeseen circumstance :(
    (Don't worry. I'll get another one soon enough!! These MTDs are everything!)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Congrats on a truly wonderful bass. I have to mess with you about trading the old Tobias because it sounds like the impulse trade I made when got rid of my wonderful Ken Smith for Modulus because of what someone said. It’s not like your Tobias played different when you found out it was made by Gibson.;)

bassicg likes this.
  3. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    I deserve that 100%.

In all fairness, I was in my early 20s and had only been playing bass a couple of years. I bought that Tobias because I had recently hung out with Andrew Gouche and he had one. I had no idea which end was up.

To this day, I keep an eye out for that bass. I’ll know it instantly when I see it. And to confirm, I’ll know the case. One day when the case lock broke, I installed a padlock mechanism on the case. I’m sure it’s the only MTD tolex case with that nonsense on it... lol.

Til then, I’m quite pleased with this younger cousin of my long-lost Tobias.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Like I said, I did something similar when I was younger. Congrats on your MTD.:bassist:

bassanomaly likes this.
  5. unresolved

unresolved Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2015
    SF Bay Area
    Gorgeous bass!

Mine is an avodire/wenge 535-21. I've been happy with Dunlop Super Bright stainless; Fret Nation sells a 45-130T (tapered B string) set, which is my favorite. I also like DR Fat Beams on that bass.

I spent quite a while setting up the pickup heights to give me a "base" tone that I like. I typically run the preamp flat, but will sometimes boost or cut one of the controls a little.

Bandmates seem to like my front-of-house tone the best when I run it through either an Avalon U5 or a Noble.

Did Chuck Levin's move to DC? I thought they were in Wheaton, but I haven't been there since the end of the Reagan era.

6. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I have a 635 and a Super 5 with a Saratoga being built. Used to own a 535. I love everything about MTD instruments. The necks are insane and build quality is probably matched elsewhere but never topped. I love the proprietary pickups and electronics. I don't think you can beat them for the money, might have something to do with the shop being a converted three-car garage in Mike's front yard. I use D'Addario NYXL strings on both of my current MTDs. Clear, focused, punchy.

PS: The Official MTD USA Thread

7. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    They’re still on Veirs Mill Rd in Wheaton. It’s just easier to say DC since it’s on the beltway.

8. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021