1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mudbucker in a P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the art guy, Apr 18, 2010.

1. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Has anyone ever put a Fender mudbucker in a "normal" (non-'50s style) P-bass? Just wondering if there's any good reason not to do it....(assuming one is working with a body that doesn't deserve to be preserved for any reason).

2. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Hmm.....(crickets chirping).....no one, huh? Well, I guess I'd better do it then.

3. Billy Sheehan? :confused:

4. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Ah - good point. I had forgotten that. I remember seeing that old P of his in VG magazine a few months back. Thanks.

5. Not sure what you mean by a Fender mudbucker. I've only heard that term used regarding Gibsons.

6. i would be curious to hear it in the standard p position as opposed to the neck position.

7. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I'm assuming he means like out of a '72 Telcaster bass. But isn't a P-Bass pickup Hum Canceling?

8. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Yes, I mean like the later Tele Bass pickup (or the recent Squier VM TB), but in a body like a regular P bass.

And I too was wondering about putting it in the regular P position, as opposed to the neck position. Now THAT's something I don't think I've ever seen.

9. Pretty much any time someone mentions adding a Mudbucker to a P bass, it relates to Billy Sheehan's basses in one way or another.

I'm pretty sure that several thousand people have added mudbuckers to their P basses in an attempt to replicate Billy's "Wife".

instr_34body.

PawleeP likes this.
  10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Saw it done on here once, a Fender style Mudbucker, in the split P position, on an aluminium bass. Can't remember the TB'er or builders name, though, but I do remember that the builder died.

11. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Yeah, I could see that being something lots have copied. Honestly that's not at all where my interest comes from though. And I'd really like to see how it would work in the standard pickup position.

12. I routed a SX P for a Dimarzio Model 1. Replaced the stock P with a Quarter Pound. Very happy with the combined result. I usually dial in just enough of the neck pup to notice that it's there. Any more, and the QP's clean punch starts to get over-shadowed by the mud. Fingerstyle and some pick.
    Speaking of pics:
    This was taken when I still had a Dimarzio Model P in there.

Attached Files:

13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I did one a few years ago - cool sound- fatter than a P but with a touch more definition than a Tele.

14. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    Holy thread resurrection!!!

I used the search and came up with this old nugget, but I also would like to put a Humbucker (mudbucker) in not only the tele bass position, but also in the P bass spot as well and wire it VVT. Since these pups have crazy hot output (the ones I am looking at are wound to 30K) recommend me the pots and cap values.

15. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I want to do this myself when I have the money. I also thought of using 3 jazz bass pups on a p style and wiring them with a 5 way switch like a strat. I think both would be cool and would shake the house down:ninja:

PawleeP likes this.
  16. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    This guy put one in a Jazz bass. I saw him play that bass live and it was the loudest bass I've ever heard live. IMO he's one of the most underrated bassist's of all time. In his heyday he kicked major butt. If you don't know his name .... go to the back of the class!

Keep Low :bassist:

Attached Files:

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I just love frankensteined basses.

18. DC resistance is unrelated to output.
    AFAIK, mudbuckers are not particularly high output pickups.

I would use 500k pots. Perhaps a 0.1uF cap.

19. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    Mine isn't about Billy's tone at all. I don't want to have a sub output or anything of that sort. I am a big Allen Woody and Jack Bruce fan, and I love that Gibson mubucker neck sound. I also hate how the EBO and EB3 hang on a strap and they are really uncomfortable for me to play IME. I usually play P basses and just decided to take a VM squier I have here and try to give me something that will sound like a half-price hooker - huge bottom and kinda dirty.

Thanks for the advice and lesson, Line6Man

20. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    What kind of Mudbuckers are you looking to buy TC?