1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multi Effects Unit Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TimC_1970, Mar 11, 2009.

1. TimC_1970

TimC_1970

Dec 16, 2008
    Wasteland, MI
    :confused:Can anyone suggest a good, but not too expensive rack mounted multi-effects unit? I've been looking to get one & there are sooo many out there, I was hoping someone with a little more experience than me can suggest one. The one that so far has jumped out at me is the behringer v-amp pro. I play a spector legend 4 string through an Ampeg B2R & 4x10 ampeg cab. (love this sound all by itself!), but looking to expand a little bit. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

2. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    You are not interested in a floor unit? You have a lot more options in the "not too expensive" price range.

3. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    me-50b

I find rack mounted effects lacking in the whole easy to use thing

4. TimC_1970

TimC_1970

Dec 16, 2008
    Wasteland, MI
    Where I'm set-up right now, Im kinda stuck in a corner right next to our lead guitarist. But, really I'm open to all suggestions.

5. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    korg AX3000B is the best modulation ive heard out of any pedal. this includes choruses (lots of em) phase, flange, envelope filter.. the delays are pretty good, the reverbs are great. the distortions/fuzzes are all godawfull, but for the other sounds alone its so worth the price, about $200 new

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I own a korg 'toneworks' ax3000b and I think it's an awesome multi-effect unit. the distortion channels on this multi-effects processor are not too shabby in my opinion. you can create a killer distorted bass sound with this unit. and it does have the best sounding modulations that you'll ever hear out of a multi-effects processor. not to mention it's got some amp and cab models that sounded pretty cool.

but if it's a rack mount you want, I'd say give the rocktron blue thunder preamp rack mount a shot. it's not that I have any experience with it, but I hear some good things about it.

7. Grimoire

Grimoire

Oct 29, 2001
    Ålesund, Norway
    Do you want to change patches or set and forget?
    I would avoid the V-amp pro, it sounds awful, and if you ever did want to change patches, it's not seamless.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Not bass specific, but look out for a used TC G-Major or Boss VF-1 perhaps? Or, and older Line6 Bass Pod pro.

9. TimC_1970

TimC_1970

Dec 16, 2008
    Wasteland, MI
    Basically, just set & forget. I'm not a huge fan of effects on bass anyway, but just some subtle effects like flanger, or on some of our songs I think need some distortion. Not too much but subtle

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Have you got a laptop you don't mind gigging with? I pickup up the Line6 pod GX interface thingy that comes with the podfarm software for less than and average Boss stompbox. There's a good variety of quality effects and amp models. Doesn't cost a lot and even runs on a moderately specced netbook :)

11. TimC_1970

TimC_1970

Dec 16, 2008
    Wasteland, MI
    huh, thats an idea. I'll have to look into that. Thanks

12. Since you mentioned the V-Amp Pro, I'll give you the benefit of my experience. Like most Behringer products, it's made cheaply so don't expect it to withstand a lot of abuse. Most noticeable, the pots have nylon shafts, prone to bending and breaking. Considering its price, the electronics are impressive in their variety and versatility. That said, if you like to change patches mid-song, you may find the short but noticeable delay when selecting another patch unacceptable. That is the one thing about the V-Amp Pro I really don't care for. However, if you 'set it and forget it', this may be just what you're looking for. If you're not stuck on a rackmount unit and would consider a floor unit with a small footprint, look at the Zoom B-2. Almost as useful as the V-Amp Pro and made well enough to take some stomping.