1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Multi effects with decent EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petebass, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Can anyone point me towards a multi effects unit which has a decent programmable EQ? Too often I find myself programming patches that could be made perfect with a little bit of EQing, but the multi effects units I've tried all seem to have pre-programmed EQ patches which can't be edited.

2. +1

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

They're hard to come by.
    Since amp modelization has made its way into multieffect units, versatile EQs have pretty much vanished.
    You may have to resort to older units.
    I use a Korg AX-1B with a programmable 5 band+trim. It's not perfect but it does the job.

The Zoom B2 is probably your best option.
    It's split in 2 sections (hi-low) and for each will let you choose between a 3 band graphic or a semi parametric.
    This way you can use a 6 band graphic, 2 band semi parametric or a mix of both.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks guys. I'll do some homework on the models suggested so far and see how I go.

Anything else I should consider?

5. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    The ME-50B does a good job with having a built in preamp/eq if you want it. You can turn it off if you don't want to use it.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    When you say "built in", do you mean the EQ is editable? Can I boost or cut specific frequencies? I'm not really after something with pre-programmed EQ curves. My zoom already has that and it's too hit & miss. The result is a lot of patches that are not really usable. For example, I might program in a wha effect, the think to myself "the patch would be much better if I could cut some of the highs at about 6K, or boost some mids at 500Hz........"

7. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    if you're on pedal ..

i am using Radial Bassbone, not the best, but the 3 band is so far sufficient for what i do ..

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    OK here's what I've uncovered so far:-

GT6B = Looks great but costs more that I want to spend.

AX1B = Doesn't appear to have a Wha effect, and a quick search didn't reveal any for sale. It is an older unit after all. If I find one for sale I'd consider it, but I'd have to get a separate wha.

Bassbone = not a multi effects unit.

Zoom B2 = It's almost perfect. I notice that to activate bypass mode, you have to press both foot switches at once. I don't think my foot is big enough, and I do use bypass a lot with my current Zoom 506II.

It also seems to be missing the second "play mode", the one I use exclusively. I like to be able to flick through the patches without the sound changing until I "confirm" the patch change by pressing both pedals. The B2 doesn't seem to have this feature. So If the patch I need is saved 6 patches away from the one I'm currently on, I have to listen to the sound change 5 times before I land on the right patch. That makes it a bit hard to use live.

Boss ME-50B = Hmm, from what I can tell it DOES allow EQ editing and it does allow those EQ changes to be stored to patches. It's a little pricey but not as bad as the GT6B. Currently leading the race. I'll look into it more. Looks like there is a ME-20B as well which might be worth a look.

Please feel free to correct me if my observations aren't correct.

9. Jazz Ad

The AX-1B has 2 types of pedal wah, autowah, fix wah, envelope filter, 2 types of vocalizer and 2 seek wahs.
    I think it's safe saying that it does wah. :)

The ME-50B is limited when it comes to EQ. It's got low, para-mid and hi.

10. The trusty old Digitech BP-8 has a programmable 4 band semi parametric EQ that is the most versatile I've ever seen in an multieffects unit.

11. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    +1---B2

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I stand corrected! How did I miss that? :)

I've just spotted one on ebay too. If the price stays low, I might be tempted. I also spotted a B2 for $125AU which is also very tempting at that price.

I'll also keep an eye out for a BP-8. It looks to have everything I need plus more.........

Thanks guys. I knew I'd get good advice here!

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Woo Hoo - I just won the auction. $100 Australian including instruction book but no box. I'm happy with that.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post a review once I get my hands on it and have a chance to play around with it.

14. P1010045. If you look at the knobs at the top, just to the left of the pedal, this is the eq section of the Line6 Bass PodXt Live. You can adjust any preset you want. You can even store your eq adjustments of the presets. This thing is very flexible. It costs #399.99 USD.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I picked up the Korg AX1B, yesterday.

So far all I've had a chance to do is plug it in and make sure it's working. While I was there, I restored the factory presets had a quick listen the to them. NOT BAD !!!!!! Half of them are usable straight out of the box. Compare that to my Zoom in which only 2 or 3 of the 36 presets were of any use to me.

I'll have to make some time this week to recreate the patches I need. That'll be the real test......... but initial impressions are a good unit for a very good price.

16. Jazz Ad

It's not perfect but it packs a lot for the price. Pretty much impossible to beat.
    It's like each end every effect ever created is inside and editing is very intuitive, with only one parameter for each effect.
    As you noticed it is a very musical unit. It never sounds cheesy or too digital.
    You really want to use a true bypass box with it though. It's a bad tone sucker.

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Gee Whiz, that programmable EQ makes a HUGE difference. Suddenly there's virtually no effects in there which aren't usable. I don't think I'll ever use the Voice or Ring modulator effects,and the defret on the zoom was much better. But they are very small criticisms and overall this is a awesome unit for the price. I've recreated my patches from the Zoom easily, then set about tweaking them for further improvement over a couple of gigs. It was all so effortless.

I do have a question though - I think I mentioned earlier that the Zoom had a second play mode where I could scroll through the saved patches without the sound changing until I pressed both pedals to confirm a change. For live use it was pretty much all I used. I have tried to keep all my patches on the Korg as close together as possible but I'm not digging the fact that for a split second, everyone can hear the wrong effect until I eventually land on the correct one.

I've resorted to saving a "Blank" patch every 4th patch. I try to land on the blank patches as I edge closer to the patch I need. But I'm still not getting the sort of seamless changes I was getting with the zoom.

Any suggestions?

18. Thor2

Thor2

Sep 30, 2006
    +1

19. Jazz Ad

There is no definitive answer to the preset change issue.
    I highly recommend using an external true-bypass box to get instant clean tone.
    Also there is a switch at the end of the course of the expression pedal. It turns on or off the effect affected to the pedal. This way you can bring a new effect into the mix without changing preset.
    Oh and with enough imagination the ring mod can be used.
    http://www.jazzad.org/Musiques/ringmod.mp3