1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music and Spirituality...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cire113, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    I'm just curious.. does anyone here know about the true "self" that is in everyone?

The collective consciousness that is responsible for creativity that is accessible to every human being?

This is where creativity and thoughts/ideas/ come from..

THe universe is conscious and we are all but drops part of the Ocean of the infinite..

Also If you don't have experience with what Im talking about; please don't reply just to argue; Im not looking to argue or prove a point;

Just to discuss this idea and concept thats all... With those that know What im talking about; It is very abstract and hard to describe in words

Everything I talk about is from my direct personal experience let me make that clear..

volker likes this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Nope. And I am pretty sure this forum is SUPPOSED to be religion free.

Gorn, Bob_Ross and Killed_by_Death like this.
  3. dcgoodwin2112

dcgoodwin2112 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I believe it's called 'drugs'

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking to tap into this. I've been doing some research lately. And will slowly try to iplement some meditation and tap into the creative side.
    I've had moments of "transending" above the music when playing and everything clicks. And you feel amazing. I would like to channel that as often as possible when playing.

I'm pretty sure Al from OM taps into this. Or it seems he does.

A lot of tapping in my post haha

volker likes this.
  5. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008

Lol im not talking about religion my friend...

Spirituality and Religion are 2 complete different things..

Music is basically the same thing as Spirit; They are one and the same

What im talking about is what all of the great musical minds have tapped into.. Miles, Motzart,Chick Corea, Hiromi, All of the above...

They knew about the source ... :)

volker likes this.
  6. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Well there's a lot of threads about playing worship music, so why not a thread about whatever faith this guy's come up with.

Personally I'll just keep busy being nice to people rather than only being nice if my beliefs allow it.

volker likes this.
  7. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I guess looking past the ego and letting go would help? Letting it flow so to speak.

8. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    EVer been in the moment where time ceases to exists and there are no thoughts just action?

That is the place;

I highly recommend daily mindfulness meditation :)

Yes EGO is a big problem;

Awareness is the first step

volker likes this.
  9. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Yes I have. I called it "transending" in my first post. But yes, amazing. I want this to happen everytime I play. Sometimes it depends on the people I jam with too. At least for me.

10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    It ain't necessarily religion, but more transcendentalism. Listen...

When I was about eight-years-old I was playing my grandmother's piano one night all by myself in the parlor (door closed, of course, so no one would hear me, lol). On the piano was a calendar with a picture of the Grand Canyon on it. After what seemed like hours of noodling and staring into that picture the music seemed to begin to have a "story," for lack of a better word, and it all blended together with the picture, putting me into a dreamy state of euphoria. But then, as soon as I took notice of it it all evaporated instantly, kinda like I "woke up." It's just like transcendental meditation. The music was my "Om." Maybe the picture was, too. What had happened is that my mind had emptied and I was on a journey, so to speak. It all follws the instructions I've read for practicing TM. The feeling was so good that I have spent the rest of my life trying to recreate it, and I HAVE many times. But, you can't think about it, you just have to let it happen. Anyone can do it. I suppose I could call it talking to God, or the Creator, as I like to call Him (or Her, or It, or whatever IT/He is). But, that's a religious view for what I believe to be something non-religious. Maybe it's being in tune with the cosmos (now there's a real '60s way of saying it, heh, heh). No drugs needed, though. Just your mind and something to meditate on.

That's what I think about it.

11. Yes sir, I do believe I know the space in which you speak brother. I find myself getting lost in this meditative state when I'm solo'in out at home, alone... just jamming... everything flows and is perfect.. almost like being guided... but like the post above me stated.. when I give it too much conscious attention it does seem to evaporate and then I am back to my clumsy unknowing human self.

The universal consciousness that connects us is very powerful.. but also delicate. If you can tap into it it can/will change your life. I tell that to people sometimes but I keep my opinions on this matter close to me usually because the ignorance to the subject is very abundant. I do not mean ignorance in a demeaning way, just that it seems like the western world has become more disconnected from this 'universal spirit' that is all living things.

Namaste

volker likes this.
  12. mbeall

mbeall

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes I'm familiar with it. It's only started to happen in the last couple of years for me and not all the time, but more and more frequently, and only on tunes or musical landscapes that I really know and can hear. I stop thinking about what I'm playing and it just happens. As Yoda said, "there is no try". There's more listening involved then playing at the mental level and it's disconcerting at first.

It's what happens when you get out of your own way. It does require however a very deep understanding of your instrument and the music being played just like any language in which you want to converse in a meaningful way. If you are busy conjugating the verb subject agreement you are going to have a difficult time making your point. Check out these videos as both of these guys get into the specifics.

MalcolmAmos and volker like this.
  13. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I will stipulate that I don't know nothin' about nothin', but I think what you're talking about is what Carl Jung called your "daimon." It is a concept of self that we have from when we are very young, an "unconscious" self that wants what it wants, and is not subject to the will of conscious thought. It is what we know ourselves to be, not just what we think we are. It isn't good, it isn't bad, (although it can be either) it just is.

Speaking personally, I have wasted a lot of time fighting mine; it is a fight that is not winnable. Once in a great while it manifests itself when I play. Once in a great while.

14. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    As far as song writing idea's I've always liked Keith Richards take on it.

"The idea's are out there. You just have to learn how to be receptive so those idea's can flow thru you."

Makes perfect sense to me.

15. Vivaldi, J S Bach, Jimi Hendrix, Allman Brothers, S R V, Robin Trower make me feel THAT Way.

With the latter; something about a Univibe that seems to...
    ...' make the room turn purple'...No drugs.. just as you say..Spirit..

Non musical: for me...being beside a body of water; pool, pond, stream, river lake..NO worries...clear Spirit.

Sleeping with and waking next to my wife of over 25 years... AHHHHHHH....

volker likes this.
  16. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    :)

it is the source of Life itself

hard to expain ; but im so glad some of you know what im talking about..

:)

For those like more information i highly recommend the following MUST read books for anyone interested in Music,improvisation, and creativity

Free Play
    The Music Lesson
    Effortless Mastery
    Zen Guitar

17. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    If Hegel had been a bass playing buddhist this is pretty much what I would expect him to post on talkbass. ;)

18. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    The universal language. I can dig it.

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Personal experience doesn't equal truth or reality.

Gorn and BassChuck like this.
  20. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Jazz Ad, after talking on opposite sides about Jesus, I can now agree with you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.