1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man basses: Why so expensive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chipsonfire, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    What makes Music Man basses so expensive? The electronics? The wood? The craftsmanship? The brand name? Don't get me wrong, I do love them. I played a Bongo once and it felt and sounded wonderful, just not $1000+ wonderful. I'd love to get a nice HH model of anything, but they are just too pricey for this poor college student :(

2. Because they can be. Like everything else.

3. Consistency of craftsmanship is not cheap. I've literally never played a bad Musicman, and I've played many. They also have a signature sound and feel that people are willing to pay well over a grand for.

Buy used.

4. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    It all depends on what you consider expensive, in the bass world today (of solid built and playing basses) I consider a $1k bass on the low end (price wise) of the spectrum.

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I think my Stingray 4 is worth every penny. And they cost $2500 down here in Australia. It's all subjective. I don't think MIA Fenders are worth it, but many people do.

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Two reasons:
    1) They have seriously good quality control.
    2) They're made in the U.S.A.

7. Believe me, 1k for a new EBMM is cheap! You wouldn't want to know what they cost at other places in the world...

Aside from that, compare them to other quality instruments and you'll find that EBMM is actually on the lower end of the price spectrum for US made instruments. Just look at the prices of Lakland or a US made Fender basses.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Wait until you get to the world of Fodera!! :hyper:

9. sflajimmy

sflajimmy

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    It's all subjective, 1K may seem a lot to a college student but as far as quality basses go it's not. Build quality is excellent on MM's and I've owned a few. I don't own any right now as I've come to prefer Fender's and Lakland's these days, but that is just personal preference.

10. Ed x TWWK

Ed x TWWK

Sep 8, 2008
    +1

11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Because EBMM is a small company. Compared to someone like Fender, who sells thousands of basses a week, EBMM probably sells in the hundreds in a week. Add to that the fact that all their stuff is made in America and that quality control is a top priority, and you get high prices.

12. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    All very valid arguments, but unfortunately it doesn't help my GAS for them or my lack of money to buy them lol. As for a grand being cheap, my current bass I bought new for $180, and that was a leap of faith that it would be worth the extra money I didn't want to spend :p Hopefully when I graduate at the end of the year, I'll land a nice job, pay off my loans and be able to get some better gear :)

13. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    yeah he's right!!
    more than 8000 $ for my fodera!
    but really 1k is cheap for music man basses
    and me too, I 've never played a bad stingray!

14. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Are they even that expensive? I mean, I'm broker than crap, and could probably never afford one, but considering a lot of other instruments, their price is pretty good considering the quality.

And besides, if you're looking used, you can probably score one for under a grand. Theres one on craigslist near-ish me for like $750 (SR4. H).

15. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    Everyone has their budget, but like the rest here, I don't consider them expensive at all. Quite the contrary as you're getting workmanship and quality that's as good as a lot of custom made basses out there. I've owned several and was never disappointed in any of them.

If you want one, but don't want to spring for new, get a used one. There's always someone selling one. The things are bomb proof.

16. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    All of the above. The wood, the tone, the quality of build, the design, the brand name, the "Made in USA" label...

Seriously, though, they cost that much, because everything of quality costs that much. For me, the price of a new StingRay is the entry level of professional quality instruments. The quality available from Music Man is simply a step above what most other companies are offering in that price range. I feel that same way about my Warwick, and you should see what Warwicks cost in the US these days...

The only other large brand name basses I'm considering these days besides more StingRays and more Warwicks are the Paul Reed Smith Gary Grainger models, and they're custom build only ($$$$$$$).

17. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    As for everyone saying buy used, the $1000+ that I'm referring to is what I see typically for used MMs :ninja: I very rarely buy anything new.

18. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    They cost a bit more than Fenders, but seem to hold their value better in ther short term.
    There is a lot of attention to detail,and fine US craftsmanship.

19. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
  20. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    You're not looking hard enough. Unless it's an LE or something rare, you can usually pick them up for less than $1000