1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Man sound and pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TonyP-, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I have had an awesome experience with Nordstrand getting a custom MM5.4 to fit my now main bass - Dillion VMB-500. The bass is a clone of a '79 MusicMan 'Ray with an extra string in nearly the same dimensions as a 4 stringer! Love this bass.

BUT Love it more since getting the pickup in place. I'm shocked at how much this one change improved the overall balance and tone of the bass. The best way to explain it is that there is more of everything to work with. Clearly the original pickup (which wasn't all that bad to be honest) had a distinct tone that was missing clarity and definition in the mids that no amount of EQ would enhance. Now, WOW.

So as a benchmark through my build (should really post more details of it) I compared the sound to a 2009 'Ray 3EQ. I built a pre and used the stock pickup and the sound was really quite close to the "real deal", like really close. After the swap, well, I've sold the "real deal" as this ended up even better than it! Quite shocked actually, I wasn't expecting it to be "better" in the end, but soooo glad I did the work. I've had the bass out during all of the changes at various points (ie just a passive stock bass, then pre amp in, then pickup.). Each time before the pickup it was okay, drummer noticed it was different initially, but never really got tone compliments. Then, with the pickup, unprompted, was getting: "wow, what did you do to your rig? It sounds amazing!?" All the pedals and tweaks I've been through have not made this much of a difference.

Again, if you need something to really bring out clarity or need a custom fitted pickup, go Nordstrand. They were easy to work with and didn't charge a whole lot for a custom build. They squeezed a MM5.4 into a 4 string cover size, and set custom pole spacing. Couldn't be happier with the service or product!!

rojo412 and LiquidMidnight like this.
  2. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    I am trying to put an 83 Cutlass back together so if someone has a blown or non working 2 band 70s to 80s Stingray pre I would be interested in it. Or a working one of course. Thankyou

3. buckangus

buckangus Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    kansas city area
    also, on the newer USA Sterling's -- they have a ceramic pickup -- the EB MM Stingrays - USA have an alnico pickup - according to their website - I have both and I can tell the difference in both 4 and 5 strings

4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    How would you describe the sounds relative to each other?

5. Glurg

Glurg Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I really wish i could buy the P pickup out of a Caprice separately. It sounded great

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Just to bring some light on this SD-preamp, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this in the previous 38 pages....

I have used this preamp in my '94 3-band Stingray. It sounds a bit mellower than the EB 3-band, and when speaking with SD tech support about the preamp, they said that their engineers took all the good stuff out of the EB 2-band preamp and created a 3-band out of it. This was perfect since at the time, I was looking to get some of the harshness out of the high end of the bass. It now, I have come to embrace the original again.

The preamp also has SD's proprietary mid-cut "slap" switch incorporated as a push/pull volume pot. The amount of mid-scoop can be adjusted via a trim pot on the main circuit board. There is also a gain trim pot right beside the mid cut adjustment. It can be ordered as a 4-knob or 3-knob with a stacked treble/bass pot.

Music Man Active Preamp

Music Man Active Preamp

Although this preamp is designed for a single-pickup Stingray bass, meaning it doesn't come with a blend pot for a two-pickup application, one can easily be incorporated.

The reason I was talking to SD tech support in the first place was that after the preamp was installed, I was experiencing a lot of noise in the signal. This is because the original Music Man pickup needed to have its pole pieces grounded. This was easily done by placing a strip of copper tape over the bottoms of the pole pieces of each coil and carefully soldering a grounding wire to the tape, then solder to ground. Aftermarket 4-wire pickups already use a bare grounding wire in the shielded group of color-coded wires.

Since I absolutely love the Stingray tone and try to install at least one MM-type pickup in all my basses, this preamp is a wonderful thing and costs about half of the John east preamp, if budget is a major issue...like it is in all of my situations...

Zoobiedood likes this.
  7. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I wouldn't trust any SD preamp. they use cheap junk crap Lelon capacitors then have the nerve to charge you $150 for the preamp. a top quality capacitor would cost no more than 25 cents. If they use capacitors that cheap you have to question the quality of the other components.

8. hmm... ok :meh:

Matt R likes this.
  9. Lachlan Legge

Lachlan Legge

Jun 5, 2017
    Western Australia
    May rant on about certain subjects
    Don'
    don't forget that the sterling uses a switch on the H model that allows it to go from series to parallel to coil tapped. That's another part of that model.

10. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    Aghhh...I wrote this over 6.5 years ago and at high level geared more to Stingrays.
    Have a great day.