1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musical Crossroads

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lwknives, Aug 21, 2012.

1. lwknives

lwknives

May 6, 2012
    Right now I am really loving a ton of different styles of music. For the past 3 or 4 years I played almost nothing but heavy metal and listened to almost nothing but heavy metal. I loved it! but in the past 5-6 months I have really grown attached to a bunch of other genres as well. I haven't played through a whole metal album in about a month.

Part of this probably comes from learning the concept of "groove" and improving a lot on that aspect of the the bass (Im coming from a guitar background). A lot of metal lacks that groovy bass feel.

Im also working a lot more on writing acoustic songs, I haven't written any Heavy metal riffs since I finished my recording project last summer. I can write an acoustic song that my whole family and all my friends like in three hours and record it in another two, whereas it takes me weeks of hardcore writing and practice and a good months time recording to get a metal song that I pretty much enjoy by myself:meh:. metal heads are so judgmental about music that if it doesnt fit the genres they like or mixes with a genre they dont like they dismiss it and most of my friends dont listen to heavy music.
    All the local metal bands want to "make it" and dont want to hire a guy who just wants to have fun and play shows. Ive come to the conclusion that heavy metal isnt going to get me out of my bedroom playing to myself:crying:
    My simple acoustic songs make people happy and are fun to play. I could probably start giging as a solo acoustic guitarist and have a ton of fun whereas I just dont have time to go into a metal band.

Part of it probably comes from joining the Praise Team at my church and realizing that I love playing both guitar and bass live. A LOT! I dont want to stick to just one instrument. The ideal gig for me would be half guitar and half bass. I dont know where I could find something like that:confused:

Ive been listening to a bunch of new stuff that a year ago I would have dismissed as boring. Smooth jazz, NEEDTOBREATH, slightly stupid, joe bonamassa, Ive been listening to the old Petra albums I listened to when I was a kid rocking out dreaming about being a rock star.

I still love metal, when I get a solo break playing on sunday I still want to step on my Triple Rectifiers channel 3 and make my guitar scream:bassist: But the fact is that with what Im doing with my life and what Im aiming for and working towards metal is going to be very lonely.

When I hear the beautiful guitar harmonies when Theocracy comes on my itunes shuffle it really makes me miss those long hours writing original riffs. fingers blistered, hands cramping ears aching after six hours of shredding pouring out my heart into the music in a way I havnt learned to do with other music yet.:bassist:

But still, having a wider variety of music I love is very rewarding:) and though it is kind of confusing and Im not sure where im heading musically It will be a fun journey!:bassist:

2. lwknives

lwknives

May 6, 2012
    Well that ended up kind of long and probably pointless but whateve.:p

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Explore wherever your urges lead. Music can be a fantastic journey. If you enjoy it, it's good.

As a young guy, I was primarily a metalhead. It's what I played (badly), and it's what I listened to. At some point, I started getting curious about where the influences were for some of my favorite players, and I started exploring those roads. It lead me in lots of different directions. Along the way, I found that, musically, by heart is centered in blues. As the years have gone by, I found that I also enjoy old punk, a lot of indie, Americana (alt-country), modern country, the occasional folk and bluegrass, and a sprinkle of classical when the mood strikes me. I have also learned that there isn't a lot of jazz and traditional country-western I enjoy. All of it has had an influence on my on way or another.

4. I went through the same thing about a year or two ago. I grew up on metal and always played it but one day it hit me that there was different music and it was actually good, if not better than metal. Embrace every kind of music you enjoy and it will ultimately help out your bass/guitar playing.

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

I did that in high school, too. Played metal and prog... basically stuff that nobody wants to hear in a small town music scene. Then I got into playing acoustic stuff with a friend, and once I graduated and met people that were into other kinds of music, I got into better music.

That said, please, please, please don't pollute the world's stages with yet another fool-on-a-stool act. The acoustic singer-songwriter thing is just so lame. Play for your friends and family, but try to start an original band based on your music.

6. lwknives

lwknives

May 6, 2012
    Im in my third year of college not highschool. Definitely not wanting to strum CAGED and sing, I do mostly finger-style stuff. Ive learned a few popular songs but only if I like them.
    I would like to get good at using a loop pedal so I can ad the same layers as I have on my recordings.
    Im still not sure though, I still have a lot of work to do to be able to play solo. Plus my singing sucks pretty bad.
    Its kind of a mute point right now though with engineering classes I only play a few times a week.

7. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    You're getting old, dude! :smug:

I listen to everything from Vivaldi to Sepultura. I appreciate well crafted pop songs the most.

Check out this interview of John Paul Jones:

Listen to everything - even if it's an example of what not to play.

8. I used to listen almost exclusively to classic rock and punk rock.

Recently however, one of my favorite styles of music is West London folk.
    Why, dunno.

Anyhow, the point is, listen to everything. You never know what you might love.

9. Ok, I'm an old fart, but this is a natural progression. When I started, I only listened to classic rock, then moved on to alt country, then to electronica, and now I'm really getting into funk/R+B. This has only been in the last 10 years, and it's totally changed the way I play and what gear I buy. Oh yea, I also spent time in a Madrigal Choir and had a classical period, too.

Music is so wonderfully varied, that it's great to explore all of it. Music is always to be enjoyed, not shunned.

It's REALLY, REALLY hard to become a professional level musician without really exploring everything that you can get in your hands. A few don't, but even metal guys on the big stages can funk it up with the best of them and play some classical peices if needed.

The truth is that only a very small percentage of working professional musicians who don't have a day job music only play their chosen genre - and most of them are in rap/hip hop/dance/electronica or other studio-based music. Most of those guys could sit in on a jazz jam and hang with the best of them, too.

The rest of the working pros must know it all, and probably 3/4 of their income is from jazz gigs. However, they usually are crazy versatile and can fit in to almost any genre, if needed.

I ain't at a truely pro level...yet. However, I am versatile. It's really fun to be able to jump between styles and meld in well. It's very satisfying.

Explore, kiddos. Have fun, and try it all (musically, that is)!

10. lwknives

lwknives

May 6, 2012
    Oh crap, I just realized im in my fourth year of college! :eek:
    I am getting old:mad:
    Anywho, I like playing a big variety of styles. But how do you incorporate a lot of styles into your playing but still play out and not just in your bedroom:confused:

11. That's the easy part. Get into two or three bands. Done.

Also, a whole lot of cover bands play lots of styles. One of the last that I was in did some Bob Marley, lots of rock, lots of funk, and even a few jazzy tunes.

Unfortunately, most cover bands do an OK job on lots of styles, but none of them really well done. The challenge is to find other players with really good ears that can adapt really well. That's a rare find.

Also, you don't necessarily have to change the style if you're in a set band. For example, I used to play in a Reggae-rock band (ala 311 or Sublime). I mostly used a thuddy, dub-style tone, but often put a jazzy run in here and there, and a few slaps at choice times that I learned/stole from Bootsy or Meshell N'deggiocello.

The good thing with being versatile is that you have more tricks in your bag. As such, it's easier to sub in gigs where the band's regular bassist can't make it. The more versatile you are (and the more that other players know you're versatile), the more gigs will come your way.

12. lwknives

lwknives

May 6, 2012
    And work a job and study for 15 hours of junior/senior mechanical engineering classes. I dont sleep much as it is, I can barely get to praise band practices. :meh:
    For the time being, one band will be pushing it. But im keeping my eye out for a good fit.

13. I'm from Hammersmmith... what the feck is "West London Folk"??!?

14. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    lwknives, it sounds like now is not the best time for you to be trying to push your music career forward.

The good news is, you have plenty of time. You have a lot of years ahead of you. Be calm, chill, be still, and know that music isn't going anywhere.

And in the meantime, finish school, get a good job, and practice, practice, practice.

15. lwknives

lwknives

May 6, 2012
    Yah, my non musical career is going much better than my musical career. :meh:
    I spend all day wishing I was playing though.:crying: