1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musical guilty pleasures

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by brownie_bass, Oct 19, 2013.

1. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap]

Oct 3, 2013
    New York, NY
    We all have them... Artists/songs you are "supposed to" dislike, and may even publicly disavow, but you secretly enjoy.

I got to thinking about this today on a long drive in which I heard "Wrecking Ball" 4 times and, upon realizing that here was yet another Miley Cyrus song that I kind of like, I had to admit that she is now officially one of my musical guilty pleasures. Damn it.

Other artists in this club (for me):
    Katy Perry
    Avril Lavigne
    The Bee-gees
    Abba
    Pink
    Too many 90's R&B acts to list

Anyone else care to share?

2. Almost everything I listen to for pleasure would likely be sneered at by 90% of the posters here, and that doesn't bother me one little bit.

OTOH, Right now, I play bass with a Traditional Jazz group and a Christian Contemporary team, and listen to neither except when it's part of learning the gig.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Taylor Swift
    Kellie Pickler

4. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Katy Perry is awesome.

Also, Men Without Hats' first album "Pop Goes the World" was a HUGE surprise to me! I bought it on vinyl as part of a novelty collection of really bad 80's pop and I'll bedoggone if that isn't a GREAT album!

...and then they did "Safety dance" :/

5. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Robbie Williams

6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    "Safety Dance" came before "Pop Goes The World" and was a much bigger hit. :)

7. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Silly, sillier, silliest

Yes "Walls", The La's "There She Goes", Republica "Ready To Go"

Smile every time.

8. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada

That's just a good song. Nothing to feel guilty about. The song is about drugs you know.

As for my guilty pleasures, i'm not sure. If i like something i tend to not feel too guilty about it. There's probably something.

9. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012

10. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm not sure I'd consider these guilty pleasures, as I'm not exactly ashamed of them... but anyway, Taylor Swift is my big one; also love me some hair metal (some of it, mostly Ratt and Tesla) and some showtunes.

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    For me it's Ylvis I've often wondered what foxes sound like? and now we all know.

12. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Ah, so it did! I knew it was a much bigger hit but didn't know that it came first.

13. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    That tune ROCKS! D-tune a guitar and see if it isn't a blast to play that riff.

14. My guilty pleasure is Belinda Carlisle from back in the 80s. Finely crafted 80s pop, and she's not too hard on the eyes either.;)

15. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    REM
    OH,
    and........ Union Station!
    (some of the best musicians that never seem to get mentioned)

16. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    Old Motown, Staxx, funk, and fusion.

I know it's not a great as Katy Perry, but it makes me feel so good... ;)

17. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Was in the car with one of my friends when some song by that avenged sevenfold band came on, I thought it was pretty good! Except I think he was playing the song to be ironic.....I'm guilty.

18. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    The Scorpions.

19. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

The Surf Punks

20. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Where's the guilt in that?

My guilty pleasures are - and I may as well just hand over my man card - "Single Ladies" and "Man! I Feel Like A Woman!" Just to be clear, it has nothing to do with the lyrical content!!! They're just really catchy, that's all!!! DON'T READ ANYTHING INTO IT!!!!!! :bag: