Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musician's Network?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by FriscoBassAce, Dec 29, 2004.

1. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Anybody know of a good website for meeting and/or jamming with local musicians? I've done some searches on Google, but can't seem to find a place that is dedicated to helping musicians find musicians. I'm a rock bassist looking for musicians in the Dallas area.

Thanks in advance!

FBA

2. You're in a big city so I wouldn't think it would be that hard. Maybe try your local music stores (that sell instruments, or even cd shops)...a lot of times places like this will have free bulletin boards where you can put up a notice telling people you are looking for a band.

3. try http://www.communitymusician.com/

they have site dedicated to Dallas (other cities as well). The Atlanta site is fairly active and we found our lead singer from it.

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, this is a problem. You'd think there would be more sites like this. I took it upon myself to create one for the CT/ Western MA are at www.ctmamusic.com

More people need to do this in their areas.

5. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Thanks for the advice...I've met many prospective band members this way, but it is always a crap shoot. You never know what you're going to get. What would be extremely cool would be a website similar in some ways to online dating services. You would list your instrument(s), type of music you like to play, etc., and the site could find matches for you. Or you could just have a classifieds section for bands or artists that want to post open positions. Seems like a good entrepeneurial opportunity for someone.

I'm going to check out the sites that were listed. Hopefully I can find a band in my area that needs a bass player. (Shouldn't really be a problem....since bass players are always in big demand).
    :cool:

6. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    I gave this site a look and I'm impressed. Several bands needing bassists in the area.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be gigging soon!

:bassist: