Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Mids

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6-3-2, Jun 1, 2004.

1. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    HAHA, now you'll actually read my thread. I've noticed that Musicman basses, maybe humbuckers in general, has very distinctive sounding mids, I really like the way they sound. Kinda of a bwum sound. Either way question is, is that kinda tone only acheivable through Musicman style pickups, or can something like a J-bass acheive that tone? Second question also involving mids, my mids are much louder then the lows and highs on my bass. Is that a set-up thing, the basses normal tonalities, or the amp? Answering either question would be appreciated.

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Man, nobody notices my posts, I just gotta say something like, DUDE JUST PLAYED A NEW SADOWSKY to lure them in.

3. Kick ass! Metro or NYC? Seriously though - you won't sound exactly like a 'Ray, but you could likely get the slightly honky midrange sound of a 'Ray using some upper mids?? Someone correct me on this...

4. You'd also likely want to boost your highs and lows to get an approx. active bass sound out of the thin-bottom-end jazz :)

5. i like that :D
    bridge pickup and boost highs and lows, wont get it to sound like an MM but should get u pretty close.

6. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Ha it worked, but yeah I'll give that shot. I only have a Sansamp as an eq, but maybe that's enough. I should probably just get a Musicman or some other humbucking bass though, in due time.