1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman sterling SUB 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theaxel, Jul 26, 2012.

1. theaxel

theaxel

Jun 9, 2011
    How do you reckon one of these would go being converted into a fretless. Do you reckon the walnut finish or the black finish would look best??

2. ChadHidsley

ChadHidsley

Jul 26, 2012
    I would think a standard defrett and filling the slots. followed by a coat of some sort (some people will resin or epoxy the fretboard)

3. theaxel

theaxel

Jun 9, 2011
    do you reckon it would sound ok?

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I think it would be making a mistake - after all, they didn't make very many SUB Sterlings... If it were me wanting a fretless, rather than do that to a nice US made Sterling, I'd probably buy a used Squier VMJ fretless, and maybe add an Audere preamp if I wanted it to be active... Those VMJ's are pretty nice, with a great ebonal fingerboard right outta the box...

- georgestrings

5. king rew

king rew

Feb 18, 2009
    Maine
    I think he's talking about the new Indonesian sterling SUB basses. If it were an American SUB Sterling, don't defret it (IMHO, of course)! If it's the new one, feel free, it would sound just fine, I'm sure. Cheap basses are great for trying that stuff out.

edit- the walnut finish would look best

6. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Agreed, I believe OP means a Sterling by Musicman SUB4 bass, not one of the older Musicman Sterling SUB basses.

Bob

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Oh, OK - I could see doing that... I was just envisioning doing it to this:

SterlingSUB-2.

I once had an MIJ Jazz Bass Special that someone had "made into" a fretless - sure, it was a decent fretless, but was once a top notch fretted bass...

- georgestrings

8. beefbrisket

beefbrisket

May 2, 2017
    Today I scored a Sterling Sub4 WITH hardshell case used at GC for $217. Black with maple neck.