1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman stingray: color combination?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeanBG, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Red and maple

75 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Natural and rosewood

67 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. No preference, both are equally nice

18 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. JeanBG

JeanBG

Dec 28, 2008
    Belgium
    I'm about to buy a musicman stingray and have got two options and have a hard trouble deciding...

So I would love to know which you guys prefer :bag:

First up: Red with maple fretboard (birdseye maple) with original case

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i343/etienne4/DSC_0413.jpg

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i343/etienne4/DSC_0411.jpg

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i343/etienne4/DSC_0412.jpg

Second: Natural with rosewood fretboard (birdseye maple neck) with softcase

http://img.tweede-hands.net/pics/00/06/33/92/56/1c.jpg?3c00dfcbf1

http://img.tweede-hands.net/pics/00/06/33/92/56/2c.jpg?3c00dfcbf1

Both of them are 2band eq and from the early '90s

Which one do you prefer?

2. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    my first instinct was natural and rosewood, but then i saw how dark that red is. really tough call. that is a GREAT era of musicman basses.

3. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    If you can play them, buy the one that feels and sounds best to you. They both look great.

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I'd go with the natural, but they both look great. I would probably also get the lighter one.

5. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Both look nice and I'm sure will sound great. That said, I didn't like the looks of the birds eye headstock with the natural body, kind of clashes and gives the appearance of an after market neck (even though its not). I couldn't see the headstock of the red ray but if its a matching headstock or birds eye or even just plain maple it will look great with that body. Go for the red one, if you're a slapper that maple fb and 2 band preamp combo will just scream. Also, give some elixir nanos a try with the ray, those strings really go well with the ray voicing.

6. JeanBG

JeanBG

Dec 28, 2008
    Belgium
    They're both on the light side for a stingray, the natural is 8.8lbs and the red one is 9.2... don't think I can go wrong with any just in doubt :help:

7. Mine is white with maple board. For me, a Ray must have a maple board.

[​IMG]

8. petermca17

petermca17 Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Boston, MA
    If it were me, I'd take the natural / rosewood bass. I have a Sterling in this combination and love the way it looks and plays. You can't go wrong either way though - both are great basses.

9. JeanBG

JeanBG

Dec 28, 2008
    Belgium
    Added a picture of the other headstock, not really a slapper though!

10. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Ok that added pic of the birds eye headstock on the red ray seals the deal! Red for the win.
    The more I look at the natural finish ray the more the clash of long grain light body woods and spotted light colored birds eye bugs me. If that neck were on a darker body it would look great, as it stands it just looks like a mismatch.
    BTW I don't slap either and I still would take a maple fb over rosewood on a ray. I've had both and the pickup is really voiced better for the maple board IMHO.

11. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    number 2 by far

12. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    When choosing between Rosewood or Maple for fretboard material, appearance is a small portion of the decision. Tone however should be the main concern. I personally don't like the "brightness" of maple.

Buy an instrument to play, not to look at.

13. endy_y_p

endy_y_p

May 2, 2009
    Surabaya
    I'll say go with natural/rosewood, stingray can't go wrong with natural, the red are too plain in my concern, I agree that stingray should sport maple board, but those rosewood/birdseye are among the most beautiful neck I've seen, plus the natural body enhance it's overall natural look, what a beautiful stingray,

I'm an architect, who lives with my beautiful wife and beautiful 2.5y.o daughter, I KNOW what beautiful is...:)

14. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Out of those choices red/maple.

15. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Red/Maple = Meh.

Natural/Rosewood = a tightening of the pants. :D

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I like the dark red on that one. But I prefer maple boards on StingRays. I feel (read: IMO IME) the maple snap lends nicely to the 2 band.

17. Tonari

Tonari

Feb 3, 2011
    Take both, swap the necks, throw away the red with rosewood, enjoy the natural and maple! :D

18. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

Oct 19, 2011
    I like the look of the second one the best.

19. endy_y_p

endy_y_p

May 2, 2009
    Surabaya
    I believe we have a winner here!....:) :hyper:

20. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    red/maple

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021