MusicMaster Bass Replacement Parts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mjpendrick, Sep 26, 2018.

1. mjpendrick

mjpendrick

Sep 26, 2018
    Howdy

i have 78' Fender MM bass. When i got this bass, it had a replacement bridge (4 saddle) but still had the original pickup. As such, the volume balance between strings is off. The A is louder than the E, due to the way the original 6 pole pickup lines up. The bass is pretty beat up, and you can see the old bridge holes and the outline. The finish is the dirtiest off white i've ever seen. Which is to say, i'm not too scared off altering it.

I'd like to put in a new pickup, considering the Aero and the Curtis Novak direct replacements. These pickups are made for the original string spacing of around 16.40mm C-C, while mine is now 18mm. Aero has offered to make me a pickup with this string spacing, but i'm considering maybe changing out the bridge now and going back to original spec, if possible. I'm having trouble finding a good replacement though. Old posts on this topic have not led me to anything currently available, that wouldn't require me to drill through the body (i'd rather not). Any ideas, suggestions on a new bridge and or new pickup?

sissy kathy likes this.
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Welcome to TalkBass.
    You did a search before posting, here's a like to get you started.
    I see you found the thread about the Fender Bronco through body bridge, but you don't want to go through body. Then get a Squier Bronco bass bridge. They are top loading. Available here. Genuine Fender Bronco Bass Bridge 0055410000 005-5410-000
    5603.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  3. mjpendrick

mjpendrick

Sep 26, 2018
    Thank you! Can anyone speak to the quality of this bridge? I know the mass and density of the bridge has a big effect on the tone with electric bass

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You opened a can of worms with your last statement, many here will disagree. I am among them. A solidly mounted bridge, your technique, and the strings you use will have much more affect on the tone than the type of bridge you use. The telling details of a bridge is whether it will allow for intonation, action, spacing, comfort, and looks. Squier bridges are just as well made as their Fender counterparts.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021