Mute Clamp Concept

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maguire, Dec 15, 2012.

1. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    So awesome. I can't wait to hear it!

2. For my taste not enough muting. I like the notes to be short and thumpy else there is no reason to have a mute on the bass.
    I use a curved piece of wood that I glued foam onto. That assembly easily slides under the strings. The problem I have with that setup is that the tuning of the bass goes sharp from the pressure of the foam. I need to find a closed cell foam that is much softer than what i'm currently using.

3. maguire

maguire Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    Agreed, I'm going to try to get some more foam tension into the clamp.

I'll do a DI recording when its sounding right.

I see the mute clamp as working in 1 of 2 ways.

1. Wedged: between strings and body. in this case the upper layer of foam really only serves to stabilize the tool.

2. Floating: The foam itself needs to be under enough compression to truly clamp onto the strings enough to cause the desired muting.

I've seen both as being possible while testing, it's all going to go down to the details :)

[​IMG]

4. Da Vinci reincarnate.:cool:

5. glutah

glutah

Nov 5, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    I have jammed foams if various densities under the strings for years, what a great concept you have. Would love to buy one...

6. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    Ha - Thanks - you're definitely the biggest fan of the Muteclamp :hyper:

Too bad all it does is slightly prevent strings from vibrating... :meh:

7. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    So here's the plan moving forward:

New Clip:
    1. More rigid material that can hold more foam tension.
    2. Neutral material that will never harm the surface of a bass.

I've got some new parts lined up on an FDM machine (fused deposit modeling - i think). It will create an ABS part (same as most household injection molded plastic) and it will be much more rigid than the current clip. I would feel comfortable selling a clip made of that material.

New Foam:
    1. Thicker pad of foam to cause more "clamping"
    2. Higher quality foam that is slightly harder and more durable.

8. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Maybe a thin layer of felt where the plastic contacts the instruments' top? Felt wont scratch or interact with the finish. Something similar to what people use when they install Bigsby vibratos...

9. I imagine it's tricky to cut the foam accurately. Would it be easier to leave the foam straight and introduce a small angle between the sides of the clamp? That is, make the gap between the two free ends slightly smaller than the gap at the 'hinge' end.

10. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    Good idea!

11. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    You bet - I have some indents on the bottom so I can set some felt in those. Ill get a pic up of that detail...

12. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Canada
    Really cool what you are doing here! Love the aesthetics of the design! If I may make a suggestion, when you are sourcing a new type of foam, look for foam that has a higher density and (slightly) less elasticity. Higher Density, lower elasticity foams will be more effective at damping vibrations.

Good luck with this design! :bassist:

13. Did anything new come of this? I'm still very interested.

14. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    Ah - I had to take a break. Just moved into a new apartment :)

Ok - next step is to find some good foam density to finish this. Then I have to make the clamp design more rigid to keep the foam squeezed together.

I'll try to push forward next week. Thanks for all of the interest and support!

15. How about something that sits over the saddles to mute? I know how to palm mute, but I hate doing it when I'm trying to do a run, or play multiple strings.

16. Congrats!
    This is one of the best ideas I've seen in years.

17. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent - I want one!

18. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I like the spring under string idea above. It looks easier and not in the way of your right hand like the cantilever idea you started with. However, I agree sticking a piece of foam under the bridge will do the same thing, although it might not look as pretty.

However, if you could adjust the tension of the string so it mutes in degrees, it could introduce some interesting sonic possibilities.

19. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    Hey bward
    Check earlier in the thread - there is a video of me using it as a mute whammy :)

20. rybass309

rybass309

Feb 11, 2011
    CT
    Subscribed
    I really like the idea of a muting device that can be easily put on and taken off.
    Here are a couple pics of something I rigged up. I just used a piece of foam, a craft popsicle stick and hot glue. I sliced open the foam and glued the stick inside. I'll call it "the mutesicle" :)

Attached Files:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021