Mute Clamp Concept

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maguire, Dec 15, 2012.

1. maguire

maguire Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    Keep the feedback rolling in - it is super and helpful.

I'm running with a prototype this week and really just trying to get a decent product modeled up quickly. I'll take all the input and refine after the first round of testing.

For all who want to test or get a beta prototype - I will send some PMs when I'm confident in the first prototype.

Here is the latest development. I sent the clip part to get fabricated. Should have some parts by the weekend!!!

image-359673742.jpg

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Yup!

3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'd love to be a tester or get a beta prototype! I love the muted sound but I don't want to mess with a piece of foam.

Is the clip itself going to be plastic? Some kind of metal might be better so people can bend it for a perfect fit.

4. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    I'm so thrilled with the TB community on this. I think it's an amazing example of how to develop a product openly in a forum setting. So much knowledge.

The drawings were created in Autodesk Sketchbook Pro and I use Wacom Cintiq tablet hardware to draw the images. This setup gives a fairly realistic drawing environment with the precision and edit-ability of digital tools.

5. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    Clip is plastic at the moment. It has recesses on the bottom for felt pads.

I like the metal idea but it will be more difficult to shield the material so it does not scratch the bass body.

It would be pretty easy to bend some sheet metal to this form though!

6. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    Nice resource! I'll eventually give this a try.

For now though I found a local vendor for quick turnaround this week...

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Time with Beta testing will tell...
    The thing I liked about the 1st design being a spring clamp, was opening the jaw to install it.
    The slide-on/slide-off method, I'm thinking the foam material will start getting chewed up from sliding across the strings. Of course that will all depend on the individual player and how many times they take it off and on throught the gig.

8. Hnz

Hnz

Jul 13, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Here's my self designed bass mute:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's made from two pieces of steel I've sawn out of a harmonica holder. Further some screws and springs and a piece of foam.
    It actually could also be glued to the body with 2-sided adhesive tape. It works really well, but has to be custom made on the bass.
    So in your design: Don't forget to imitate the curve of the strings in the piece of metal that holds the foam.
    There is usually very little room underneath the strings to successfully contain the two pieces of metal and the foam in the 'resting' position.
    That's why I believe the Elio Martina Bass Mute has the foam blocks on the side of the strings. It's a very good design that leaves very little room for improvement.
    But hey, mine is waaaaay cheaper! ;)

9. Very nice. The only reason why it would not work for me is that I need to be able to quickly switch to not muted. I don't know how that might be accomplished with your setup.
    So far a curved piece of wood with just the right amount of foam on top is the best way to go. The downside is that it's easy to loose or forget that little piece.

10. could you perhaps use something like the quick rlease bike wheel things that tighter and loosen a desired ammount in one motion?

11. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Wow! That looks great - way to innovate!

12. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I might have missed something, but is there a particular reason why the mute has to touch the surface of the instrument? I think a free floating design would be ideal - easier to take on and off/no potential wear on the top of the bass.

13. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    I received some parts today after a longer than expected wait... but I got them gratis from my friend.

Photos soon - stay tuned

14. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    After 2 minutes of testing with the prototype - I believe that the mute clamp does not need to touch the surface of the body!

That also makes it much easier to slide on and off of the instrument quickly.

15. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Sweet! This is exciting!

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Bring it on.

;)

:hyper:
    :cool:

17. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Let's see!

18. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Inactive

Aug 10, 2011
    Springfield, MA
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    You know - your initial concept might work very well as a string mute positioned @ the Zero fret on Buzz Feinstein equipped basses. Have used other devices before in the studio and always have some over-ring if I get aggressive with finger-style.

19. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    Okay here we go - the first round is of the raw parts.

This is still very preliminary, but I have some rigid components that have the general shape that I'm looking for

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
    After some sloppy foam trimming :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021