Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Muting Resonance?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mchildree, Mar 14, 2004.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I never really notice this during a gig, but in the midst of recent recording I've noticed that my bass has a tendency to resonate a while even after I've muted a note with my left hand...mainly on A string notes, but also on some others.

I can dampen this quite a bit if I stick a piece of foam between the top and the tailpiece. Not a problem in the studio, but it'd look goofy on a gig. Anyone have a good solution for this? FYI, I'm using Helicore Pizz mediums on my New Standard Cleveland.

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Try winding a piece of foam thru the strings between the bridge and tailpiece. I'd bet what you're experiencing is sypathetic vibrations in the strings' afterlengths. BTW, just about everyone I know who has switched from Spiros to Pizz Helicores has gone back. The Spiros are truer in pitch, last longer, and have a better response, IMHO.

3. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Thanks Arnold...I'll give that a try. Probably time to reinstall the Spiros that you sent on my bass to see if I can get happy with them, too.

4. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Tried the foam threaded on the strings between bridge and tailpiece and that didn't do the trick. After really watching what's going on, it appears that maybe my left-hand muting technique needs work. When I play a low-register note on the A-string, and mute it with my left hand, the portion of the string below my hand continues to vibrate enough to cause the "ghost tones". Dunno how I'm gonna work that out, but apparently it's "Operator Trouble".

5. Have you tried a wolf tone eliminator or four? How about a tourte mute? Or, as you say, bring up your left hand muting technique to a new level.
    Are you using a bow quiver?

6. I'd suggest you work on damping with your right hand. Use the side of your hand above your index finger, your ring finger, whatever works. Your amplified sound (especially if you play in a loud band) will be cleaner if you can make this routine.