1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Muzz Skillings (Living Colour) bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mmbongo, Sep 27, 2009.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I was just listening to some old Living Colour, specifically Open Letter To A Landlord from their Vivid album. Does anybody know what kind of bass Muzz used on this recording? Sounds very very much like a Wal, and I was just curious if he used one.

By the way, these guys have a new CD out. It's great. Get it.

2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    According to my memory of an old copy of BP (which I have somewhere), he played a BC Rich Eagle, a G&L L-2000 fretless, anjd a Fender 62 reissue J bass...when i get a chance I'll check to make sure...

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I think it was a semi custom ESP (ESP with custom made neck) on that whole album.

micgtr71 likes this.
  4. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

That is correct he had those basses when he joined Living Color. But, I think by the time Vivid was recorded, he was using the ESPs.

5. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I think thar was the second one...

6. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Could be. I'm looking at the May 1991 BP mag right now, and it's not clear from that article with Muzz.

7. They were here (Portland) last night. I could not make the show but I heard it was amazing and that the new album is excellent.

8. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Hey, I'll say it was one of the best bass tones I'd heard up until that time for certain...

9. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    The newer stuff is Doug Wimbish on bass. I'm not sure when Muzz left for good, but his playing on the first 2 albums was awesome.

I saw them open for the Stones in 88. They were hella good

10. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Custom ESP 4 with PJ EMG's was what he played at the LC live shows i saw in the late 80's...
    Doug Wimbish is the LC bass player now (I think)...

Vernon Reid is one of the top 2 or three guitar players I've ever seen live. Face peeling good.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  12. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    caught their most recent tour when it was on the east coast a few weeks ago. Doug Wimbush was amazing. Pretty sure he was playing spector's at the show...but I could be wrong...was pretty transfixed on Vernon and his purple Fly.

GREAT BAND!!! psyched to have them back (and Alice In Chains too!!!)

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I am so, so, so glad to see these guys back....they were my favorite rock band growing up man....I love this band. These guys can PLAY and write incredible tunes....unstoppable....and seriously, who the hell else plays guitar like that???? I am so thankful for this band man.

14. They'll be here in Minnenoplace Wednesday............

15. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I love the band and the old tunes -- I've played a bunch of them over the years. I can takes Reid's "sheets of sound" guitar style or leave it, though.

16. He was playing Spectors when I saw them a week or so ago.

17. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Well, considering he is one of 4 people with a signature series, I would be suprised if he wasn't playing a Spector bass...

18. His signature Ibanez didn't last too long did it!

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Doug plays Spectors and have done so since the beginning of Spector, He's played a few different brands on occasion even for a short while a signature made by Ibanez.

And he's been playing his sig Spector a lot lately as well.

No not at all.

20. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I'm sorry guys - what I meant to say (and did a piss-poor job of stating), was that even though DW has had a previous endorsement of Ibanez (and SWR amps), everytime I've seen him, it was with Spectors and TE amps...every single time. He's been playing that original 87 honey Spector pretty much forever now. The fact is Doug finally has a Spector signature series, so I would be VERY suprised if he plays something that isn't a Spector now.