1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR Bass D.I. Distortion SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by assboglin, Aug 14, 2007.

1. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I always go around telling people I prefer the MXR Bass D.I.+ to the Sansamp, so I decided to post some samples to show some of the things I use the MXR's distortion channel for. These samples are at about a medium gain on the spectrum of what the MXR's distortion channel can do, to give you an idea. It's a pretty basic functional bass distortion. With the clean blend, it can go from overdrive to creamy, searing distortion, but it doesn't quite have the right vibe for what I'm going for. Maybe you'll like it.

http://media.putfile.com/Bass-DI-One

Some riffings:

http://media.putfile.com/Bass-DI-Two

Redundant but what the hell:

http://media.putfile.com/Bass-DI-Three

With the Dunlop 105Q:

http://media.putfile.com/Bass-DI-Wah

And with a Boss OC-2:

http://media.putfile.com/MXR-Bass-DI--Boss-OC-2

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Very Nice samples! Thanks for posting them. I have wanted ther MXR DI for years but have never actually tried one out.

Blending the distortion with clean signal is clearly the way to go.

3. ob3ron

ob3ron

Sep 11, 2005
    Singapore
    thats the sound i'm looking for! now i gotta get myself one of these. thanks man! woohooo :hyper:

4. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I have owned both, I really like the MXR M80 and the SANSAMP. The SANSAMP is a more versatile but they both sound really good.

5. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    sounds good. especially with the wah. very cool. thanks for the clips.

6. Nice clips!
    Really nice sounds!

7. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I'm glad you like the clips. In case anyone is interested, I have the clean blend at about half, and the gain is less than half with the noise gate off. I was playing one of my Jazz basses all knobs on full into my Ampeg tube head (set clean) with a miked (just an SM57) 2x12 cab.

8. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Do you have the wah before or after the DI?
    Nice clips by the way.

9. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Those clips sound good. There is one of these for sale in the classifieds...

:)

-Jason Smith

10. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    The wah is before the D.I. I'm using a pedaltrain Jr. and it had 105Q -> Boss TU-2 -> MXR M-80 -> Boss DD-3 -> Ampeg. I might have also ran a compressor on there to help keep my crappy recording device from clipping. I also like to run a Boss OC-2 in front of the MXR. Maybe I'll do a sample of that later for you.

11. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    I'm digging it with the wah... I now know my pre-distortion has to be a 105Q. :)

12. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    It is the biggest sounding bass wah I've found. I actually turn the Q down quite a bit, and I'm still not hitting it all the way to the toe down position. It's on the funkier, wetter side of wah land, but it also gets that fat lower frequency sweep that I sometimes like for more rock-like tones. Just out of curiousity what are you planning on running for distortion? I've owned countless distortion effects so I might have run the 105Q with it before.

13. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    Nice samples! I especially like #2 aswell as the riff :hyper:

I was never keen on my MXR DI distortion channel, but after a while i learn to love it! (Basically i started to like it when i learnt how to work it :meh: )
    My main setting is;
    Blend - 11
    Gain - 3
    Trigger - 2
    It can give some tube-esque(ish) sounds with a SS.

Definatly a keeper IMO and a must on my pedal board.

14. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I also forgot to mention I used a pick for these samples. I suck at playing with a pick so I don't normally use one.

15. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
  16. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I just wanted to update this thread and say two things:

1) You need a sub to listen to the last clip with the OC-2 to really get the difference. The suboctave is bumpin'.

2) I posted some more clips of the MXR Bass D.I. with a script phase 90 here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359345

17. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006

18. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    very nice tone

19. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I really like the EQ's on the Xotic effects, the bass control can get bumping bass without being as muddy or unnatural as other EQ's I've used. The X Blender gives you a lot of control over the effected signal, which is really handy.

The riff from #2 is just a part of a song I've pieced together. I'm heavily influenced by Curtis Mayfield and Jimi Hendrix, though I don't claim to be able to do anything like they did with their instruments.

All I've got for recording is this crappy outboard (connected via USB) soundcard that clips like mad when I use distortion, so I have to mic the cab because that's the only wah it'll handle it. The soundcard came with some Cakewalk software so that's what I record on, but I don't do anything to the sound with it apart from boosting the levels. What sound quality I have I accrue to my Ampeg. It sounds killer in person and luckily some of that can get translated through the mic.