Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR Bass Distortion problem...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iceblinko, Feb 8, 2005.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    hey all. i was thinking about buying an MXR Bass Distortion pedal, so i borrowed one from a friend. i tried using it during a recording session, and the lows were quite scooped. me and the engineer tried EVERYTHING. i was wondering if this might be the fault of this particular pedal? i remember trying one of these things a while back, and i don't recall having this problem. if this is the case.. maybe i'll try a proco rat (any suggestions?). but i'm stumped because i thought you can keep all of your lows with this MXR thing!... help!..
    -tom

2. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Are you talking about the M80 DI+??? If so, did you have the color button depressed? When the color button is depressed, it activates a preset EQ and the tone control knobs don't have much effect, they do to a certain degree, but not as much as when the color switch is in the off position (up).

Give it another shot and tweak those knobs like a crazy mofo, your bound to find some tones that you like.

3. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    yeah it's the DI.. we basically tried everything. i think the thing is defected or something. anyone else lose lows with this thing?

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nope- I use it everytime I play. I don't use the color and make sure the blend knob add some clean signal. The lows come through briliantly on mine.

Ted

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    nope. I've always used the eq and blend to get in as much lows as I need. Never had any problems

6. Note, the color switch is on by default in the Distortion mode. Evil MXR, evil! :scowl:

7. Bloody

Bloody

Aug 13, 2004
    Everett WA
    Hmmm, I think you have a defective unit, or, a dead battery!
    I've used the MXR M-80 for years and loved every minute of it, save for the small push buttons breaking and falling off, but what do you expect from cheap plastic.

8. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    SANSamp FOR LIFE!!!

9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    No thanks, maybe Ill get one those cheap B******** copies when they come out, but I MUCH prefer the MXR.

10. Im about to try out a new MXR-M80 Bass Driver so i will let you know my findings. There is a unit on Ebay at the moment in the UK for £60 approx .

Im selling my new Tech21 sabddi as it was very nice but it sucked the mids out too much in my tone, im hoping the MXR with mid eq will be better.