1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe + VT Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mouthmw, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Anyone using this combination? I just tried the mxr bfd in the store and was blown away with the tone and definition of it. Sooo punchy and smooth and good. All of my dirt usually sounds even better going into my vt. Anyone using this? I'm definitely getting the bfd, I couldn't find a bad tone on this thing! Oh joy!

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Light overdrive sounds good into the VT but I'm not a fan of what it does to full on fuzz. The speaker sim does not sound natural to me and rolls off too much top end. YMMV!

3. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    I tried this today because of this thread and think the two sound great together. I suspect most of the VT pedals would work well with the MXR BFD. The trick I found is to set the BFD first as close to how you like it and then use the VT pedal to fill in any gaps in the BFD's sound.

I found doing this I could get more pleasing high end and lows mixed into the fuzz sound, and sculpt a tone with mids that could cut through the mix while retaining a very thick fuzz tone.

Glad you asked about the combo.

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I love the speaker sim on VT mixed with some dirt pedal. Gives it a lot more bite and sounds less dry.

5. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    last rehearsal with my stonerband i used this combination:

bass (Ibanez ATK with C-tuning) > Catalinbread SFT > MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe > MXR Bass Envelope Filter > VT Bass (V1) > amp

Amazing chain and every pedal really shines in this combo.

6. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    How does it sound with the VT and SFT pedals swapped positions?

7. Can you suggest some settings for the MXR? I've been having a hard time dialing in on mine.

8. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Do you mean with the VT pedal or without?

9. I don't have a VT (yet, at least). I'm just curious about what MXR settings are working for people. Thanks!

10. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    What are you trying to get it to sound like? any recordings that you want it to be similar to?

I like a brighter fuzz sound than guys into doomy music tend to go for, so my fave setting may still not work for you, but if you give us a rough idea of what you want it to sound like that could help get you more useful suggestions.

One setting I actually like is every knob maxed.

Try Tone and Dry at noon, wet at 3:00 and start the fuzz at 9:00 and then start turning it up slowly while you play until you're hearing enough fuzz for your liking.

11. Gilian24

Gilian24

May 23, 2010
    I really like the tones from the justin chancellor tool setting (check dunlop booklet) Usually I have the dry on 9/10 o' clock, wet 2 o'clock, tone 11/12 o'clock and fuzz 2 o'clock. Sometimes I have the tone on 9 o'clock to get a dark fuzz tone.

12. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have been playing with this pedal for 5 months now and it still sounds magnificent in my room. As soon as I get it in with my band, adios. It gets completely lost in the mix. Although I must say that I haven't tried it with my VT yet. I also have a darkglass vintage coming in the mail tomorrow so I don't think I'll be playing with the mxr BFD too much any time soon haha.