1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR Blow Torch....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JumboJack, Jul 7, 2012.

1. JumboJack

JumboJack

Dec 31, 2007
    Lakewood,CA.
    Distortion or Fuzz? Or both?
    Disscuss.....:bassist::hyper::bassist::hyper:

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Definitely buzzsaw fuzz, which i feel is misleading on MXR's part.

3. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    So many demos available, plus so many stores allow one to test-drive gear...

If a buyer were to avoid all forms of due diligence regarding how wisely they might spend their money, who am I to argue that they should have done the research? *laugh*

4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    The earliest YouTube demo i can find is from '08, I got (and returned) mine long before that, and that generalization about stores is pretty thin, especially when the pedal in question was just released.
    Let's try to only keep the thread going with posts that actually, you know, matter.

5. dand666

dand666

Jun 15, 2011
    I have just got a MXR BlowTorch pedal. What settings do you guys use?

6. I don't think any on-topic post in this thread can ever qualify as "mattering".

7. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    Given that it can handle mild signal distortion, rather than brickwall processing of the signal, it's a distortion which can reach fuzz territory.

Since overdrive, distortion and fuzz are all part of a continuum, almost any device which can cover more than one of those ranges can be labeled to only one of those strengths. The early MXR Distortion + is more an overdrive than a distortion, but since its sound isn't as transparent as the Tube Screamer lineage, it's sold as distortion.

I use my Blow Torch on bass, guitar, and extended range guitar (which covers the ranges of both). It can function as an overdrive (boosting the clean signal to spank an amp on the verge of breakup), go through a flavor of distortion, and then gets to fuzz territory. It's a great pedal, and I own two of the pedal.

----

LSMFT6, sorry if you were offended by my response to your off-topic and incorrect assertion that the output of the Blow Torch isn't a form of distortion. If your comment saying its name was misleading to a potential buyer was on-topic, then my responding to your comment, about the availability of demos and other materials, is on-topic as well. However, should you ever feel that I'm not in line, there is a report button for such thing.

It's a forum. Within the rules of the forum, conversations evolve. You went there... and then didn't like that the topic went there. *laugh*

Cheers!

8. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

For me, overdrive is its best role.

I bought the BT to use it as my main dirt pedal. I liked its "on paper" versatility and the in-shop short trial run was promising. But after using it at band practice, one of the guys said he found my tone nasal. Funny how sometimes you want a pedal to sound a certain way so bad that you actually don't really hear it and it takes others to open your ears. So I benched the pedal for a while. Now its back on the board as an OD pedal. I really sounds great, better than my SansAmp's OD and the Bad Monkey I used for a while. As mentionned in another post, you'd expect a pedal named a Blowtorch would melt metal. Its a great pedal, no doubt about that, maybe it just suffers from having the wrong name. Not knocking off the company or the pedal, I'm a big MXR fan.