1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR M-80 OVERLOAD!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by elsharko, Jul 4, 2012.

1. elsharko

elsharko

Dec 24, 2008
    London
    I recently acquired an MXR M-80 and loved it, especially the 'color' setting with gave me a nice rock tone that I wanted. But with my active bass it just distorts at any setting and its really frustrating. I dont want to turn down my bass volume and the distortion is worse with the 'color' setting but I want to use it. I dont use the actual distortion on the pedal at all.
    There is a little peaking when I run the bass (Spector Euro 5lx) straight in too but the DI obviously aggrivates this.
    Maybe I need to add a pad to the bass pre.

Has anyone got any suggestions or had any experience with this?

2. Trailight

Trailight

Oct 19, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Bass / Darkglass Electronics / Tsunami Cables
    I have the M-80 and use it with both my Spector basses.
    I absolutely love it!!
    Are you using the distortion channel on it? Use the blend knob down to 8 o'clock, the lesser blend will give you less distortion, considering you're using a bit of it.
    I don't use the colour button, I find it a bit too much. By itself it's OK, but I prefer it with my other settings I've dialed in.

Here's a video I did with my Spector Forte that shows it engaged and clean:
    at around 0:22 seconds I engage the DI with the distortion setting, low blend.

3. Trailight

Trailight

Oct 19, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Bass / Darkglass Electronics / Tsunami Cables
    Also, depends on which Spector you're using. I found that some Euros (like a 5 string I had) the pickups are super hot so I had to screw them down a bit.