Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR M80 Parallel Output

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lomer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Okay I did a search for this but didnt find anything helpful...

I just purchased an M-80 off eBay and I was wondering if I can use the parallel output on the side as a headphone jack??? I dunno but because this is a pre-amp shouldn't that make it work???

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    As a standalone box? Like sitting at your desk? Yes. Headphones will work in both the normal output jack and the parallel out. I just tried it :smug:

3. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    sweet that means I can just carry my bass and m80 with a set of headphones around.... BYE BYE combo!!! that's going to make practice so much easier, cheers for the prompt reply mate....

4. Helstar

Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    if you use the paralel it will be clean only

5. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    whoa i didnt know that would work.. how does it sound through headphones? a lot of headphone amps i tried clip pretty easy... would a DI do the same?

6. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    As this is a pre-amp only you'll only get a very weak signal to the heaphones. You still need a power amp somewhere in the chain. You can get a cheap headphone amp which will do the trick.

7. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    would something like this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...60010238356&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

im using my m80 right now with just headphones and if i play harder or up the volume to a decent level it distorts.. i know its not my headphones because ive used them with my combo amp's headphone out.. but i would like to just keep my m80 with me on the road so i can use it to practice.

8. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I use the effect out to either my headphones or the mic in on my powerbook and then use the clean volume knob to control clipping and such. When I posted that in like march I didn't really use it with just headphones for any significant amount of time...I was just noting that it worked :bag: .

9. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    sounds crappy with M-80 to hp only

10. I think it sounds alright, especially for it's purpose. If you're just practicing, or playing around somewhere, I find it very convinient. You can play your bass with no amp, you have choice of eq(besides whats on your bass) plus a distortion channel. Good deal.