1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR Script Phase 90 SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by assboglin, Aug 23, 2007.

1. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    So I got an MXR Script Phase 90 and I thought I'd take a couple seconds to do a few soundclips for everybody. Please excuse my crappy playing these are only meant to give you some idea of what the Phase 90 sounds like on bass.

The first clip is at a medium speed and with the phaser on the loop of my Xotic X-Blender. Just your basic phase sound. The phaser isn't cutting the bass, I did that for better note definition. This is part (the end) of a song I wrote.

http://media.putfile.com/Phase-1-45

The second clip has the same settings but I play my bass a lot differently. The phaser adds dimension to the riff.

http://media.putfile.com/Phase-2-13

The third clip is at a very fast rate without a clean blend for that warbly, shimmery sound. I left the bass more full on this clip, so you can see there's still some bump even when the phaser is going fast. Hooray for warbly jazz chords!

http://media.putfile.com/Phase-3

2. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    That sounds AWESOME!

So you say that you really didn't need to boost the lows on this unit?

Or are there limitations?

3. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hi,

just wondering if you've ever a/b'ed it with the regular phase 90?

4. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I've owned the block logo Phase 90, I've modified the block logo Phase 90 with the R28 mod, I've owned the phase 100, and now the Script phase 90. I've also owned various Boss phasers and an Electro Harmonix Small Stone. All of the MXR phasers retain the bottom fairly well, although there is a point on the phase cycle of the script phase 90 that noticeably cuts bottom, hence my idea to use the clean blend. I can also boost the lows in the effected signal with my Xotic X-Blender, but I don't necessarily have to. I like boosting the lows with the MXR phasers though, because one of the sounds I like to use them for, and I'm sorry I didn't do a sample of it, is to boost the lows a lot and roll of the highs for a really cool dark, rubbery bass sound. It's very mellow.

I haven't sat and A/B'ed any of the phasers but I can tell you that they are all different, even between the R28 modded block logo phaser and the script logo one. The differences may be subtle, if you're interested I suggest you try them out if you can. So far I have to say that I prefer the "color" of the script phase 90, but what color phaser sound you like is completely a matter of personal preference. The Phase 100 is also a great bass phaser, perhaps better than the phase 90, but it will sound different as it is a 10 stage phaser whereas the phase 90's are 4 stagers. The phase 100 was probably the best for that dark, rubbery bass sound that I oh so like.

5. That sounds awesome man. Do you have a fuzz pedal lying around that you could plug into and do a combo of? I've heard that phase+fuzz=eargasim. But in all my experiences, I've never had a chance to use the combo myself.

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I've got a lot of pedals laying around still. There's a whole lot of things I haven't tried with the phaser yet, if I get a chance I'll see if I can do some fuzz/phase clips for you.

7. Your my hero. Thank you.