1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My amp is not supporting my bass anymore

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wesley Rameau, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Wesley Rameau

Wesley Rameau

Dec 13, 2018
    Hi I got my amp since years and recently it's like I'm always playing staccato.

is the problem coming from my bass or my amp, and how should I fix my problem?

Thanks again for the advice.

PS. My amp is a Peavey MAX 126

2. We're going to need more information to really have any idea what is going on.

3. Wesley Rameau

Wesley Rameau

Dec 13, 2018
    well it sounds as if there was too much bass.

What kind of information do you need?

4. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Kind of bass, amp settings, bass guitar settings, and processing, type of strings,

A sound clip if possible.

Wesley Rameau likes this.
  5. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Very little to go on but I’ve heard that sound before: cone is displaced. You’ve played with an effects pedal, think Octaver did mine in, or just too loud, too hard.
    I replaced my speaker, BA115, and that breaking up tone was gone, replaced by a new tight sound. Not the same as the original speaker sounded.

Wesley Rameau and saabfender like this.
  6. Sounds like a speaker or cone problem. Sound like a good excuse to buy a new amp!

Wesley Rameau and saabfender like this.
  7. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Or a very pretty, shiny new speaker.

EDIT: Just looked what that amp is. It doesn't matter that it says "bass" on it, it's not a proper bass guitar amp. Go buy a real amp.

Wesley Rameau and pappabass like this.
  8. Wesley Rameau

Wesley Rameau

Dec 13, 2018
    it might be because I played to hard and loud indeed. I only need to change the cone or a new amp would be better ?

My bass is an ibanez tmb 100 and the problem stay the same no matter the settings on the amp and the bass. It only stops when the volume is near from zero.

9. Wesley Rameau

Wesley Rameau

Dec 13, 2018
    Maybe this is the solution indeed haha thanks !!

saabfender likes this.
  10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    If an amp isn’t supporting his bass she needs to kick him out. Better yet she needs to support herself which gives her a pick of better amps.

Wait! What are we talking about here?

I mean, “Is this loser good for Metal?”

11. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Peavey Max 126 is a 10 watt powerhouse!!

Just think of the posibillitys if you doubled the power and
    Doubled the speaker size

10 watts to 20 watts
    6inch to 12 inch.

Otherwise could be the amp starting to lose its oompph or the speaker. Hard tell on the internet. Possibly even just wonky input jack, or the headphone jack which usually has a connection for output speaker. All can get corrosion