1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My (Aussie) band is heading to LA!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by punkjazzben, Aug 9, 2012.

1. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Hi all

Just want to share some exciting news (for me). My band is from a small country town in south west Victoria, Australia. We've just released our second EP, and have also been hurriedly organizing a trip to the US over the last four weeks; a radio guy caught wind of our original music and basically said "If you can get over here, I'll sort the gigs out."

So we took a blind leap and bought tickets, and we leave on Monday for LA! Our first gig is at The Viper Room, and I've been told we're also playing at the House Of Blues as well as some places around Hermosa Beach.

This is a pretty big deal for a band from a town where most people have never left the country and most families have been in the area for generations. We don't mind if nothing comes of it, the experience will be fantastic anyway.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share it with y'all :)

2. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm on the other coast so I won't be able to make it to a show, but WELCOME!!

3. bunkaroo

bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    That sounds awesome - no matter what happens it will be a great adventure you can look back on and feel proud you took a chance.

Good luck!

4. dude you need see if you can capitalise more while you are over there.....

discuss the next step with your agent, other opportunities, air play, release of your EP in the states....get together and write up a plan before you head over

5. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    Great news! Congrats!

6. Congratulations man! I hail from Colac, which is also in South West Victoria, but I'm currently living in Footscray.

In fact, your name looks hella familiar.

7. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Dallas Texas!!!!
    Awesome man! Good luck!

8. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    That's going to b be the trip of a lifetime!!!! That being said..... L.A. can be a bit rough to play. Ether way have a blast and through a T.V. or something.

9. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia

Yeah we've got our first EP available globally through iTunes, the second is getting there. We'll be selling both of the CDs over there at shows, and we've already had some airplay on one station that is also having us on air for two hours to co-host a show.

We've also got a guy who runs social media with one of the big radio stations in Australia plugging our music to whoever will listen to him and quietly whispering in people's ears "Hey, check out these guys, they're over in LA right now, we should talk to them when they get back..."

So we've got a fair bit going on, and that's just through contacts we have among our own friends. Hopefully we'll play to/speak with/meet the right people over there and we can pick a few more contacts.

Ahh good old Colac! Good see another Western District (almost) lad on TB!

10. checking out your music.. Sounds great !
    Have a great experience mate !
    Rock on !

11. Mr. Sound

Mr. Sound Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    SUNSHINE COAST AUS.
    Oi Oi Oi !!!

12. I live just a couple miles from Hermosa Beach. What venue are you playing there? Saint Roc?

13. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    Welcome
    I worked and lived with a traveling Aussie design group for two years and had a lot of fun and learned something so I’ll try to help you adapt while your here.
    Of course this is all in fun mind you and my spelling is a little weak.
    When entering into a car the steerring wheel is on the left side. I guarantee while bar hooping you will make the mistake of getting into the wrong side of the vehicle if you enter up front. This will stay with you for your entire trip.
    Nobody knows what a tinny is here.
    If you say to someone “your slick as a Gecko” they will thing you’re selling then Geico Insurance
    If you call a lady a bird they might think you’re calling them kookoo
    If you call a guy a bloke they might think you’re calling them gay.
    Stay away from Anheuser Bush products. Aussies are migraine headache prone to this product when made in American. They found Coors was user friendly.
    Bring your own Vegemite. There’s none here. Bring enough for me. I’m jonesing for it.
    The john is a bathroom not your friend.
    Aboo means you’re happy and not referring to those in the bush.
    Although your maps show it, no one will believe Australia is on top of the world.
    No, you can’t out drink us Americans and I proved it.
    Good luck on your holiday. Enjoy.
    Ken

14. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Dates we have confirmed are Viper Room on the 16th, Lighthouse Cafe on the 21st, and House Of Blues on the 25th. Apart from Lighthouse, I believe Watermans, Boogaloo, and Patrick Molloy's (sp?) are all also at Hermosa Beach and we're waiting on dates from them. :bassist:

15. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Best wishes on your big American tour.

16. Well, I was living in Ballarat from February to the end of June for Uni. Does that count as Western Districts? ;)

Might have to play a gig in Colac when you get back. Apart from the occasional Guns N' Roses, Lady Gaga/Rhianna, AC/DC, Bon Jovi and P!nk tribute shows, there isn't much live music to be had in Colac, unless you're a fan of the aforementioned tributes, crappy DJ's or that horrible... club music group Bombs Away. Having said that, some good original groups have come from the area, with the likes of Japan For and The Fire Alive being groups of note.

All in all, it's a hole of a town.