1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Bass Playing - Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mulepods, Feb 25, 2008.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    http://www.danatkinson.net/demos.htm

The link above is my demo page. I'd love some opinions from bass players. All instruments/vocals done by me. I'm trying to get a publishing deal (I have no delusions about my singing ability).

Listen to Down, Confession, and Drifted in particular. Both "Down" and "Confession" were done with an Ibanez SR500 straight into Cubase with the Ampeg SVX plugin. "Drifted" was done with a Schecter Studio Elite into an Ampeg B-100R amp (I actually mic'd it). I try to do a Sir Paul impression on that track. :)

Thanks for any input.

2. I donnow, I like your voice. Nice playing, nice tunes! Good luck and break both legs!

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Very good. Extremely tight and polished. A lot better than some of the stuff posted here. A welcome change. If I had one critique it would be to simplify the basslines. There seems the tendency to busy them up but for this style of music, simple is better. Don't be so inclined to show your chops. Did you play the drums as well? Are you using anything to 'pitch' the vocals? If not, you seem to have perfect pitch.

Bottom line......[Randy Jackson voice]"That's hot, dawg!"[/Randy Jackson voice]

4. I like your tunes, and your voice suits them perfectly.

I do agree that the basslines are a little too busy for the style. But you did ask us to rate your bass playing...very good!

Best of luck to you.

5. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    Thanks! I agree, the bass parts do get a bit busy. I might go back and redo them to simplify a bit. It's tempting for me to get very "walky" when it isn't really necessary.

The drums are all totally fake. I programmed the drum tracks using FruityLoops. I used one-hit drum samples for everything, programmed the beats, then shifted the timing of random notes to avoid sounding too precise. I think it turned out decent.

And yes, I did use some pitch correction on the vocals. I wish I didn't need it!

6. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    That's great stuff! It made me feel good and I liked the overall sound too. Those are, for me atleast, very important factors.
    Keep it up, you have a fan in Finland! :)

7. bookmd01

bookmd01

Feb 28, 2008
    I'm new to the bass (but I liked it!), though I'm not new to music...great overall sound...my only suggestion (and who am I to be telling you?!?) is that at times the treble seemed a bit much...I messed with my equalizer, took down the top just a bit...bumped up the middle just a bit and it sounded a little more balanced...?

btw...who cares if you get help with your tone...if you didn't, you'd be in the minority these days!

8. Production Critique:
    I would use compression (or heavier compression) on the bass...especially in the beginning of 'Down'

Songwriting Critique:
    Solid pop.

Style Critique:
    Not into it, but I am sure other people would be :)

9. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    Very nice tracks Dan! I really enjoy the tasty basslines in Confession and Get Away.
    I have heard alot of independent stuff lately and yours is definitely top shelf!
    I like the lyrical content and your voice fits right in with the songs.
    Kudo's to you my friend!

Steve

10. ryan(MAIDEN)

ryan(MAIDEN)

Jan 27, 2008
    youve got some solid songwriting skills there... a little to poppy for my liking but hey you did an excellent job

11. The kings of Alt pop for me are Third Eye Blind...

Edit...Drifted is a very nice song. Nice bass playing and vocal, still sounds safe and predictable.

12. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    Very good! (And I very rarely post)

13. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Well written songs, but why do you whisper all the vocals? open up, man! Belt it out! With a bit of production, this could easily be on the pop charts

14. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    I like the bass, I don't think it's too busy. It fills a lot of the space, which is good. You definitely got some chops.

15. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    I don't agree with those saying your basslines are busy. They are not. It's relaxing really, I like it.

16. WRBass

WRBass

Dec 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx.
    These are great songs! I really like the bass lines. They fit perfectly.

17. squidmaster

squidmaster

Feb 1, 2008
    nice work, and theres nothing wrong with your voice

18. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Good luck with it. I like it.

19. jordan-z

jordan-z

Jul 21, 2006
    i was diggin the bass lines, i say you leave them the way they are.

20. I love them, from every angle! :bassist:

I would agree to either compress your bass a tad or watch your dynamics while playing.