1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My bass was killed. Mourning.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sijjvra, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I sold my 5 string bass earlier this month - strapped for cash, it was too heavy after a back injury anyway... sucks but it is what it is. Still had my old Ibanez SR300 4 banger to mess around on (it was a 90s model and pretty well made, if pretty scuffed up from me having it for so long and using it as a beater bass).

Aaaaand then the cats were chasing each other around and knocked the bass over (it was in its stand). Broke at the neck joint. Junk. Now I've got nothing to play on and no money for a new one for at least several months. I'm pretty bummed. Sucky day. :scowl: Anyone want a couple of cats?

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    These kind of stands here protect you instrument better.

3-Triple-Folding-Multiple-Holder-Rack-Stand-for-Guitar-Bass_320x320.

As per the cats ... well you are on your own there ...

My cat is old and doesn't knock things over ... but she barfs all over the place ... :bawl:

3. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Sorry man....I feel for ya...

sucks to have nothing to play....

hopefully you can pickup something else soon....

PS - most of mine are hanging for this exact reason....the stands I have are like the one above OR have the front guards on them...

4. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Funny, we have a guitar rack stand like that at our drummer's house but decided to leave it there because we don't have a lot of room here in our house (it is currently filled with baby stuff as my husband and I have an 8 month old daughter). I wish we would have just made room for it now. The baby is not quite up to crawling yet but she's close to that point, so one of the things I had planned to do this very fricken weekend was dig out the case I had for it to put it in so she didn't try to pull it over and hurt herself.

Next bass is getting stored in a case from the get go.

5. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Wow. Bummer been there but mine was repairable. I use the Hercules dual on stage because it is very stable and secure. Unfortunately, the one I had a problem with wasn't in it at the house.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Guitar center used had a ton of $80 basses. $100 shipped and you can play. Eat nothing but Raman noodles till you make up the difference.

7. Rambunctious cat for sure. I would get on child-proofing* right away- a bass is replaceable...

*IME(3 kids and a ton of very destructive cats)NOTHING is child-'proof'.. aim for *extremely child-resistant* :D

Sorry about the bass, and I am NOT telling you how to parent- at 49, w/my eldest in high school, I am still very much learning(mostly from my mistakes:rolleyes:)

8. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Wish I could but we literally can't right now until we have a few other things paid off. I can't eat nothing but Ramens either, I need to eat healthy because (ohgoshnoTMI) I'm nursing a baby. Junk in = junk out, which she doesn't need. I'll deal, just sort of a major bummer. Eventually I'll get another one. Priorities first, and all.

9. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    No I get you and I agree. We're in the process of childproofing right now...electrical outlets were first because she -can- reach those. Next are vents around the house. The guitars and bass were going in their cases this weekend and stands put in the closet, cabinets about to be plastic-tie shut, etc...etc. Fun times.

10. laveasley

laveasley

Sep 28, 2013
    Mine was knocked over during a gig in NY.
    Singer never looked twice.
    I wanted to reach out and touch someone if you know what I mean but politics and money got in the way.
    Also I'm a cat owner as well.
    Poor poor kitty . . . dealing with your wrath after that.
    I have a bass to sell if your interested.

11. The cats, or the basses? :D

12. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    No kids, no cats.....got two basses at home that have been on stands for a year. No accidents. All the rest stay in cases when not it use.

Got one of those Hercules stands for gigs. It would take a gorilla to knock that over.

Sorry about what happened. Hopefully you'll get something soon.

13. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    Total bummer, that's why I keep my music room/office/sanctum door closed.

Whats your location? I've got a cheapie Yamaha 4 banger you could "borrow" if you could get it.

14. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Just saw this. Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee!!

15. gidion

gidion

Aug 30, 2007
    Bountiful, UT
    I'm pretty sure he meant the kids. :bag:

16. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    just stick em to the wall:D

17. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    If it's a short-scale 5 I might be interested when I'm not so broke :D I was planning on saving up for one anyway...I guess this is just added "encouragement" to do so after a few things are taken care of first. Cars winterized and a few medical bills and such.

18. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Michigan. If you're in CA, I'm not sure I could make that drive :p but thanks for the offer anyway.

19. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Three cats - one is a particularly rambunctious 1 year old. I keep mine in cases and I have a box propped up against the cases so he can't knock them over in his "crazy runs" as I've had him knock over a case before. Cases are in the room next door to the music room. Music room itself is locked as we typically don't let the cats in during practice (though the older two can usually behave). Still training the young one. Yes, you can train cats.

20. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Yes. My cats are trained to ignore me unless it's time to be fed. Pretty amazing, that.

Unfortunately we don't have a room to lock the basses in (we live in a really small place right now and our former music-band room is now the baby nursery, so all the music stuff is in the living room) but I have learned my lesson. I've had these cats for years and they have never knocked over any of our guitars/basses...but I guess once is all it takes. :meh: