my bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by acexxxoasis, Jun 2, 2005.

1. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    hello I have an "Oskar E Meinel" pernambuco french bow with I believe nickel fittings. I got it for $80 (30 for the bow 50 for a rehair recamber rewrap and refinish) my teacher has told me its value is around $800-1000 (Im not looking to sell it just to find more info out on it) but I have not been able to find much if any on "Oskar E Meinel"
    here are some pictures of it. Any ideas?

2. Violin:
    Fictitious alias for Roth:

Have fun with that Eastman when it gets here. I just got my 5-string 4/4 Bulgarian about 11 weeks after I ordered it. The low B is fun. And the low C, and the low C#, and the low D, and the low Eb.... I've already had it at a few gigs and man does the big fiver get the looks. Most folks have never seen one. ;)
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a bow labeled Oskar E. Meinel as well that I bought in a local shop last year. (for a lot more than you paid but I still got a good deal)

I also recently had some recambering work and restoration done on it as well as a very small crack repaired/stabilized. Even with all of that, my bow was appraised in the same range as yours. My stick is octagonal, and mine still has the original wrap. The frog on mine including the MOP appears nearly identical, which seems to validate that both are original.

The bow plays absolutely wonderfully and offers a rich, dark tone that I just love. It is not a particularly loud bow, but I get a great sound with it. It is ideal for solo stuff or when I am miced and playing alone. I use my Tom Owen with the Orchestra.

I have had a couple of different local luthiers state that it is from the Roth shop. I haven't been able to find any documentation, but both of the locals dated the bow 1930-1950 based on how it was made.

However, contrary to SS's documentation from the other forum, (the link doesn't work, but I noted his overline) my local luthier, Dan Terry, contends that Oskar E. Meinel was a real person. Although, there is no doubt that it is a shop bow, and I have no clue about his relationship to Roth.

I have commented on it a few times here at TB if you care to search.
  4. Here is the text of that link:
    The link works fine with my browser, Mozilla, sorry if it failed in IE.