Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my cab idea

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by draginon, Dec 12, 2005.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I am in the market for a cab in the next couple months to mate with my SWR WM4004 and am only looking to spend around $275 max. I know this doesn't leave me with many options (goodbye bergantino, aguilar etc..). I saw a peavey 210 cab at guitar center for $180. I was thinking of getting a cab like that and swapping the speakers out for some kappa pros or even some eden XLT's if I could find out how to get my hands on two of them. (they handle frequencies as low as 30hz, lower than most 12s and a lot of 15s)

Would this be a bad idea? I've heard people talk about tuning cabs but have no idea what that means. Would it apply to this project that I may pursue?

2. Well.. a cabinet is build to be a good housing for the speakers which are inside of it. Different speakers means that you need a different housing for them. Because the speakers are different, they will react different from eachother.

Therefore you can do what you suggested. But if it sounds good? :smug:

3. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    thanx thats all I need to know..

I'll check out avatar

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not so. Kappa Pros are PA midbass drivers, not well suited for electric bass, ideally tuned they're only good to 150-200 Hz. Eden's don't go particularly low either. As previously stated drivers and enclosures must be properly matched.

5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If the Peavey 2-10 is a TX series, although a bit heavy, they sound very good. Take your amp and bass down to the store and give it try first before changing out the speakers. You may be pleasantly surprised.

6. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I was referring to the kappra pros used in avatar 210s and 410s... THe eden XST (210) handles frequencies as low as 30hz.

THank you for the info though. I thought it was as easy as just swapping out old speakers and replacing them with new ones

7. Well, thats if you actually believe their published specs..there are many who dont...

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    So am I. They are fine drivers but they were never intended to be run alone on electric bass. Combined with 15s to handle the bottom they work very well.
    Only in their advertising copy. Bruce Gavin has measured Edens and found that they have a decided midbass hump and don't go low. Check out was he has to say in this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217326

9. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    eh :(((

what about getting a 1x12 from avatar? I usually scoop my mids to get my desired tone but don't scoop high mids as much. I am looking for a cab that can get\handle a defined boomy p-bass type sound (4string). Will a 1x12 from avatar paired with my WM4004 get me in the vicinity of my desired sound? I am definitely not into a middy sounding (or even jaco tone) tone.

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I can't recommend any particular cabinet or brand, I can only render an opinion as to how a particular driver will work. You can too by downloading the freeware WinISD program from linearteam.org and use it to predict the low frequency response of any driver. A good book on speaker design, such as those by Dickason, Weems or Alden, will help you understand what the program is telling you. Taking some time to educate yourself in how loudspeakers work can save you a lot of money in the long run.

11. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    thanx for your help. I definitely like to get technical. When I start making good money, I'll throw all the technical stuff out the door, but until then I have to get the most bang for my buck

12. Based on your tone requirements I would recommend the Avatar B212 with the Delta LF speakers. This cab excels at low end and is a little shy in the high mids.

13. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    much too big. I need something 210 size or 112

14. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    You want the boom but not the size for a fast food budget. Ain't gonna happen.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

What he said...

- georgestrings

16. ricosuave2093

ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Oregon
    Not so true about the Kappa Pros. I have an Avatar B410 Kappa pro and the things sounds great and can take every bit of low frequency I throw at it.

17. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    perhaps u are right

thats what i thought !!. the kappa pros are supposed to be able to handle the lowest frequencies out of all the kappa 10s... somewhere around 45hz

18. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I'm sure they do, but there are many drivers that would take quite a bit more.

19. fourstring44

fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    I have an Avatar SB112 with the Delta LF and I must say it sounds like what you are looking for. Quite a bit of lows for a single 12 a litlle shy in the upper mids for me, but it it is pretty impressive for a $200, 40LB CAB

_Curt

20. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004

Sounds like a good deal. I read the specs and I think that the 2x12 will fit in the front or even back seat of my vw bug so I might just go 2x12. I wish I had the opportunity to try before I by.

When u say shy in the upper mids, u mean that they aren't as strong\full as the lows and lower mids? Does it sound balanced? As far as the highs, is there a good amount of clarity? I've heard the tweeters in avatar cabs are pretty powerful. How transparent is the sound?