1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My choice of Pbass PU's - Good?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by paulygonemad, Apr 28, 2010.

1. I am about to upgrade my MIM Fender Pbass. Badass will be the bridge, I am contemplating which pickup.

After much research and listening to clips and such (thank all those on this site that posted such required info), I have decided on these pickups. Well, it does not have to be THESE from Amazon, but this brand.

http://www.amazon.com/DiMarzio-Model-Replacement-Pickup-Fender/dp/B0002GLBUK

My buddy is doing the upgrade and would really like for me to choose an Alnico based pu. From all the clips I have heard, including the Fralin, I really dig the sound of the DiMarzio. I play with my fingers and am a big fan of Entwistle, if that helps. I really don't want any scoop, quite the opposite.

Am I on the right track here? Very open to suggestions/comments. My P and I are very close and I would hate to put crap in it.

2. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I think you'll like it!

3. thanks for the response.
    Seems I chose a ceramic. I need to research some more.

4. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Fralins are very good pups. A little 'edgy' for me, meaning they have a lot of upper mids and highs. If you want your sound to cut very well in the mix, they're a good choice, and with a good cap like the orange drop, you can roll them back and still have a very nice tone.

I am curious as to why you decided Fralin over the DiMarzio. Was it just Alnico vs. Ceramic? Don't let magnet snobbery influence your decision - quality tones come from a GREAT variety of different pickups, using a GREAT variety of construction approaches. Many people prefer the tone of DiMarzio pickups over very boutique pups costing 2x as much or more.

FWIW, my fave P pickup at the moment is the Nordstrand NP4. Can't say enough good things about it. For sound clips (recorded by my humble self):
    Soloed:
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/75392288f55e9615/

In a mix:
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/7546532386ee6af2/

The are with an MIJ Squier P with DR Sunbeams. First is wide open, second is with 50-60% tone rolloff.

5. In my old MIM P I had those DiMarzios. They sounded good and I was definitely happy with them.

6. gam29

gam29

Jan 18, 2009
    do the dimarzio dp127. i just installed that in the bass in the ^photo...it's a damn beast

7. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I put the DP127 in a Washburn a few years ago and I was generally pleased with the results.

If I were going to shop pickups right now I would mostly look at Delano and Norstrand. All of their pickups that I've tried have been outstanding. Fralins have an excellent reputation but I have no personal experience with them.

8. hmm those Norstrands sound great.
    The Alnico vs Ceramic issue has to do with my playing style. A hot ceramic may not work for me because sometimes I like to attack fairly hard and those would distort out on me. I am still very sold on those Dimarzo's, they do sound very good. The guy doing the upgrade for me has been with me for a long time, so I tend to listen to him heh. He also likes the hot ceramics, just not for me. If that makes any sense.
    Thanks for the responses, I am still debating.

9. sorry for the double post.
    wideyes, we have a winner with those Nordstrand NP4's. Thanks for your time, it was well spent. I am very glad I have you guys to turn to.

10. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Sweet! Glad I could be of assistance. I think Nord pickups are top tier - you can move laterally, but you can't do "better" than what they have to offer. I also think their NJ4 jazz pups are my favorite so far that I've heard. AND, Cary Nordstrand is a very standup guy, who is happy to discuss what you want from a pup and get creative when you want to.

People say it often, but you really can't go wrong with Nords.

Let us know how it goes, Pauly!